Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Grouse Hunter
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grouse Hunter

Pulled this from another site. A Grouse would hardly have a chance against this hunter!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/2CFckjfP-1E
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

The Goshawk is a formiddable foe of the ruffed grouse and is one of the primary causes of the cyclical decline of the ruffed grouse.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

We all acknowledge the cyclicality of grouse, but I don't think anyone understands the mechanism that causes it.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
George Blair
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
The Goshawk is a formiddable foe of the ruffed grouse and is one of the primary causes of the cyclical decline of the ruffed grouse.
AMEN!
George Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

Big D,

I'll tell you what I understand - mostly through the experience of about five or six cycles of highs and lows and what I have observed.

When the grouse numbers are at a low there are far fewer predatory birds and ground animals present because of the lack of necessary prey. This scarcity of predators allows for the slow but steady increase in grouse numbers over a period of several years and their numbers compound exponentially until a "cyclical high" is achieved. This "high" endures until such time as the number of predators (which have also been on the rise due to the ever-increasing number of prey animals {grouse}) reaches a number that will cause the collapse of the grouse population - which happens a lot faster than the increase in numbers had.

This isn't the only factor in the cycles of ruffed grouse populations but is the most significant and obvious. I don't claim to be an expert in this but I've made observations over these several decades that can't be ignored. The Goshawk isn't the only bird of prey that impacts ruffed grouse populations - the Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl as well as a couple of less significant hawks and owls also prey on the ruffed grouse. Not only are ruffed grouse impacted by these predators but many other small mammals and songbirds feel the effects of the increase in numbers of predators brought on by the "high" cycles of prey species.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Being singularly unqualified on this subject (and MANY others), my observation is that in most other predator/prey systems,they reach an equilibrium, without the cyclical fluctuations we see in grouse. I wonder if the Ruffed Grouse Society has ever published anything on this?
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

one of those hunters flew down on the ground this afternoon in front of me as i was waiting for a deer to show.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote