Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

It takes birds to make a bird dog and Chuckars can be very sporty indeed. Glad to see your hunting with the 410 and not just keeping her a s a showpiece...which she is.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Thank you Rich ,I really like that little gun ,but I had every intention on using it when I bought it ! I learned that lesson years ago ,I purchased a 1960 MGA ,in very good condition ,it sat in the garage and sat and sat until I got tired of dealing with it ,all I really ever did was worry about it when I had it out ! I finally sold it and then regretted not enjoying my Sports Car , well I decided to pick up a very rough condition Austin Healey 3000 ,tore it 100 percent apart and rebuilt every nut and bolt and as soon as it was finished ,started driving it ,that was 21 years ago and I am still trying to wear it out ,as for the gun ,I will always be careful with it ,but I will let the next owner sit back and do the worrying over it !! Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 1967, Austin Healey 3000, Mk. 3 004.JPG (238.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg My 1967, Austin Healey 3000, Mk. 3 007.JPG (233.1 KB, 1 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hey Russ looks like a great hunt. Also looks like a beautiful area with great cover. Are you using Spreader loads hunting with the .410? Looks like I see a Pheasant Rooster there among the Chuckers? Great photos! Beautiful car.
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Hi William , We really did have a good time , as I have said ,I normally raise around a hundred Chucker a year but this year I bought 20 Birds just to exercise my Dogs a bit . We ended up with so much rain ,I just kept them until the weather got nice and used a few and then put the rest out this pat weekend ! On the Spreaders ,no I am not using them in the 410 ,I have been shooting Remington 2 1/2 ,# 7 1/2 shot mostly and while Pheasant hunting I use # 6 Shot ! My Buddy Rich passes one of the fields we hunt on the way to my place and took an hour on his way in and picked up the Pheasant with his GSP Sam . Thank you for the compliment on the area ,I own the land we are hunting on ,makes it very easy to put Birds out and fool around for me ," NO TRAVELING " Great Deer hunting here but wild Birds are few ! I don't own the Barn in the back ground .just the land as you look down over the fields toward the Ridge ! The old Healey ,I have owned it so long and worked on it so long it seems to be a part of me ,it is holding up well ,the pics. are this past Summer and it has been on the road about 17 years since I finished it up and as I said ,I have owned it for about 21 years total ! Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Chukar chasen
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Chukar chasen

Russ; here in southern Idaho some of the locals are raising Chukars with the aid of a surragator. The locals are claiming 35 to 55 percent carry over through the winter. By the looks of your area this may be an opportunity for you. As you seem to know these birds are a real joy when they are not in Hells Canyon or on the side of a 10,000 + ft Elev. mountian. It is a real pleasure to see someone with an enjoyable chukar hunt. I mostly return home angry and beat up after a chukar hunt, but I always have a couple for the pot. These people are trying to establish these birds in a more user friendly area. I enjoyed the photo's of the dogs and your area. Thanks David
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Lien For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

David ,I would enjoy hunting them in their native areas and wild Birds ,Man even the store bought Birds can fly !