Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Parkers [and a Fox] on the Prairie
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

Default Parkers [and a Fox] on the Prairie

Just wanted to share these photos of our recent hunt in S.Dakota for ducks and pheasants. Ducks were plentiful but the pheasant numbers were down so we really had to work for them. Shot ducks every morning with a 12 sterlingworth then switched to a Parker for the afternoon bird hunt. First afternoon I always start the season with my 28ga vh, day 2 saw my Fox 16 Deluxe in action. Day 3 was the day for the GHE16 damascus which drew her first blood on a duck which I jumped off a pothole we were working for pheasants. This bird circled and was attempting to gain altitude into the wind [which if you have ever hunted out there you know blows constantly] when I intercepted her escape with a 7/8oz load of RST 2.5" 1150 Lites 7.5's and folded her cleanly at @ 40yds. Day 4 was my favorite bird gun a 26" 20 VHE stoked with my 7/8oz handload of 7.5's at 1200fps. I know a lot or people swear by 5 or 6's for roosters but there is something very efficient about 7.5's. This was a bittersweet trip for me in that it was my first trip in 9 yrs without my pointing lab Parker whom I lost suddenly this past Jan. to cancer. As any dog owner knows this leaves a huge hole in your life. Now for the best part of the trip- the dogs. I rescued 2 labs from two different shelters and worked with them all summer. Named them Parker [or P2] and FoxE and they did a splendid job. Probably the most rewarding job of dog training I've ever accomplished. They were'nt perfect but it was only their first time in a truly wild environment and they tracked well and found the dead birds in extremely thick cover. Looking forward to field trailing them this winter between hunts. Hope everyone has a successful and rewarding season with their favorite SxS and their loyal canine at their side.
Daryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 052.jpg (560.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 054.jpg (529.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (538.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (573.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (510.5 KB, 6 views)
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

daryl good storey...sorry about your old hunting partner but i see you have 2 new partners... they will hopefully be with you many years...i see you to like to hunt with more than one gun...aint it tough decision some times on which one to hunt with.... boy i do like making these decisions... very good photos of hunting ground its a beautiful place out there... keep the dogs busy and the guns warm.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie,
Life is too short to hunt with only one gun and now I know it's too short for only one dog. Wish you all could join us.
Daryl
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,195 Posts

Daryl, Now I know you used nontox in those RST's on that duck you jumped out of the pot hole... Glad the dogs are getting the idea, I think you will have many rewarding years with them.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl - did you take that long barrel 28 that followed you home from Pintail Point? Thanks for the pics.

Ed
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl, Glad to see you and the "Kids" had a great time on your adventure! My guess is that "hole" will soon be filled with new memories and magic moments, in the years to come. Wishing you all the best in the remaining hunting season. Best Regards, R Rambler
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Wonderful story and pictures Daryl. i especially liked the pictures of Foxy and Parker. I miss those guys.....
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Eric- Of course it was nontox. Would'nt want to be a criminal now would I? The stupidity of the law is such that on that duck I needed nontox and if a pheasant were to flush in the same cover I can shoot it with a lead field load. Go figure. Only a nitwit in Washington who could'nt tell a coot from a coyote would mandate such things.
Ed- Yes the long 28 came with me but never got the chance to cut a feather. Next year I'm going to handload some Bismuth and try it on some ducks over the dekes in those potholes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Wouldn't we (and the ducks) have been better off if they permitted the continued use of lead for waterfowl, but charged steeel shot prices for duck loads, and put the incremental revenue into habitat acquisition and improvment (think Ducks Unlimited)? Long term fix for wildlife is more and better habitat
John Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bingo!
Steel has crippled and killed much more waterfowl than "lead poisoning' ever did IMHO.
D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post: