Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Wow, a 60 lb. Brit. My brother-in law had a litter mate of one of my dad's GWPs that went 85 lbs. When we'd all hunt together in looked like the 3 bears; His 85 pounder, my dad's 55 pounder, and my 45lb GWP dog, Ringer.
More times than I remember, Ringer and I would go out for a short 'walk' when I got home from work, and bring home 2 partridge. Those were the days before the wild turkey moved in and drove the king out.
Nothing more rewarding than hunting over a good Versatile Hunting Dog.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Not sure I understand the concept of turkeys driving out gouse
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

It's a pretty sound belief that the turkeys kill partridge cchicks and eat the eggs. I know for certain that as the turkeys increased in this area, the Partridge began to disappear, to the point that now there are none. Turkeys don't seem to be bothered by urban sprawl. I live in the country, but the turkeys are even in the suburban areas. I saw a bunch digging up the median on the interstate the other day.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is a eye opener for me. When I first started hunting (over 30 years ago) turkeys were almost non-existant. We were havesting partridge. Since turkeys were re-introduced into our state I have not seen a partridge in years. Turkeys are now very common. Thanks for that info. Do they eat grouse eggs as well?
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

whether I'm right or wrong, and according to most, including my wife, I'm usually wrong, I have used 'grouse' and 'partridge' synonymously.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Hello Edgar ,I have a Good friend ,married to a cousin of mine and he is an avid Turkey hunter and has been for many years ! He has claimed for years of what you are saying about the Turkey ,it was the same in our area 30 years plus ago ,if someone even had seen a Turkey in our area ,the news of it almost made the Local Paper ,but the Grouse hunting was Fantastic ,and only a small amount of us locals hunted them and nearly no one cared at all about that , everyone was after the Ringneck Pheasant , and the Turkey hunters would go to the Northern Counties of the state ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

It takes legislators eons to enact or modify laws and regulations, and while there are some pretty smart Game conservation people coming out of college, the older ones are too complacent to do anything about modifying hunting seasons and bag limits according to population of species. CT has a very short fall turkey season, and a no-hen spring season (Based on old data that said turkeys only nested in the spring, but now have multiple nestings throughout the year) Too further reduce the necessary harvesting, I believe CT still has lottery permits instead of the usual "Stamp" (read TAX) like pheasant) All these archaic laws may have been appropriate when they were initially trying to reintroduce the damn bird 30 years ago, but now there are too damn many. People complain about deer populations, but don't seem to see the same thing in Turkeys. I treat them like varmints, though will breast them out.
Ever try and seed a lawn with turkey in the neighborhood? Forget it.
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

In up state NY a local referred to them as ground vultures.... and there sure was alot them.
Bob
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #19
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

the best grouse hunting is now north of the turkey line, meaning where it is to cold in the winter for turkeys to survive.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
Hammer Fan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
whether I'm right or wrong, and according to most, including my wife, I'm usually wrong, I have used 'grouse' and 'partridge' synonymously.
That's a good point. I didn't know what a "Ruffed Grouse" was until I was close to my teens, even though I had shot many of them up to that point. It is interesting how localized the term partridge is used to refer to grouse. I still use it to this day. I grew up hunting in northern Wisconsin as did my father and his father, and they were always called "partridge" by the locals. I have since moved less than a couple hundred miles away to Minnesota, and always get strange looks when I use the term partridge to fellow "Ruffed Grouse" hunters who have been hunting them their entire lives. And you should really see there faces when I say I'm going to hunt partridge in the "popple".
Forrest Grilley is offline   Reply With Quote