Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

SBT shotguns in ATA Hall of Fame
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default SBT shotguns in ATA Hall of Fame

Looking through the ATA records book: THE GRAND- A History of Trapshooting- by Jimmy Robinson and Jim Nichols- 1974 edition- the following "Greats" are shown with single trap guns: page 37- Charlie Larson 1917 looks like an Ithaca, next to him J.D. Henry 1918 looks like a single barrel, make uncertain. Both men wearing almost identical style golf caps-

Page 47 E.C. Starner 1925 GAH Champion with an Ithaca.Page 48. Great photo of Annie Oakley in her only appearance at Vandalia 1925- A PARKER SBT- the recessed hinge pin and deep frame say Parker loud and clear-Page 94 C.W. Brown 1956 with an Ithaca.

Page 177. "Sparrow" Young- an open SBT in the bend of his right arm- also on page 8- a much younger Mr. Young is shown with his squad in 1913- he is holding a "humpback" semi-automatic (with the bolt open) next is "Pop" Heikes, no gun shown, then Woolfolk Henderson holding a double with his hands covering the muzzles "Daniel Boone style", Les German with a Parker double and Tom Marshall with an Ithaca.

Page 236- another squad with ( from left to right) two men holding LC Smith doubles, last man with an Ithaca.

This great book has details on all the legends, Plinky Topperwein, Annie Oakley, Fred Gilbert, Pop Heikes. And the ladies are also featured, page 206 - in 1924 Georgianna Hobson won with an Ithaca, next page shows Florence Murphy, 1930 Ladies Champion with a SBT, sure looks like a Parker to my eyes.

Finally, North of where I live was home for the late Ned Lilly. He is shown on page 181, on his vest is a 1956 Captain All-American Trap team and he is holding his LC Smith doubles gun, which is now in the ATA Museum. Back around 1980 I bird hunted with Ned's son John, who shot Olympic Trap and on the Army's MTU Clays team. At that time Ned was a rep. for Winchester.

John and I hunted grouse and woodcock in early October, I carried an LC Smith and that's when he confirmed that his Dad's Smith was going into the Museum at Vandalia. For singles and handicap (Ned was a 26 yarder) he shot a Model 12. By the way, John shot a 20 gauge Winchester 101, and killed three "pats" and two woodcock with 6 shells total that day.

Last edited by Francis Morin; 09-14-2009 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Caps needed--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote