Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

A "Market Glut" perhaps
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A "Market Glut" perhaps

I realize the DJA and the NYSE went down the tubes, but boy howdy a careful perusal of all the gun auction sites- lotsa Parkers out there for sale- any comments???
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,920 Times in 554 Posts

I agree a lot for sale, however, pricing (asking) has not changed that much. There are bargains to be had but you have to search hard. Seems the Repros are down significantly.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Jurewicz For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

There are some who must sell their guns and there are some who don't need to sell.
Those who must sell do so at a reduced value.
Those who are not forced to sell offer their guns at their actual value.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

There were many collectors who bought Parkers 30 or so years ago. Some of those people are reducing their collections now as they age. I am the beneficiary of a couple of those people. They bought nice guns then and I appreciate their good judgement.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Good Taste is indeed, Timeless
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Good Taste is indeed, Timeless

[quote=Bruce Day;47855]There were many collectors who bought Parkers 30 or so years ago. Some of those people are reducing their collections now as they age. I am the beneficiary of a couple of those people. They bought nice guns then and I appreciate their good judgment-- We all do- I am amazed at the high prices for Damascus barreled PH and GH guns, many in very well worn condition and with pits in the barrels-- cut off stocks- yet some of the dealers listing on the various gun auction/sales websites extant are asking $3500 plus-- many make the mistake of listing the numerical grade stamp as found on the watertable as the frame size- a Lady seller on Guns Americana has a nice looking DH 20- 28" Titanic Steel barrels that she (or her designated agent) has listed as being on a Number 3 frame-- I'll pay good foldin' money to see a original factory ordered 20 Parker on a number 3 frame-Then we have those who listed their guns as having ejectors, not knowing the difference between them and extractors. The best "Lulu" I've seen to date was one of the Eastern Cabelas Gun Library listings at $2500 for a 4 digit DH, retrofitted with a Trojan barrel set (No 2 frame of course) and Trojan forearm, and the doll's head between the breech balls "epoxy-treated" to fill the gap between the original barrel top rib extension and that of the first series on the Trojan grades- Wow!!:e ek:
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Francis, that's what I mean about looking through the rocks to find the gold nugget.

Some time ago I posted pictures without comment of a very nice little gun. I happened to know the gun was completely redone and that it was sold first for $14,000, then returned when the buyer and others found refinishing indications. A realistic price would have been $8,000. The seller next sold the gun for $17,000 to a new gun dealer and said it was unshot original. I looked at gun on the new dealers table, he had $22,000 on it and said he was new to Parkers and wanted to start dealing in them because thats where the money was. He was right, that's where the money was. Be careful out there. As stated on the old mariner's charts, " there be dragons."
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

There has been and there currently are a number of interesting Parkers out there for sale for a wide range of budgets. I spoke to an older gentleman this week who is thinning out his gunsafe, but has no urgent need to sell.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

There are examples everywhere of questionable Parkers with price tags that would "choke a horse". The thing we must be very careful of is NOT to say these guns are selling for these crazy prices because they are NOT. The figure on the tag or the 'starting price' on gunbroker or some such auction site IS NOT the price the gun has sold for and you will see these same guns rotating around the auction sites week after week and month after month.... sometimes even year after year at those same prices. It has been said before and I will take this opportunity to say it again... Caveat Emptor!!
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Dean
You are absolutely right!!! I have seen several decent Parkers just playing "musical tables" among a group of dealers in the past year or so. I have also seen a BIG difference between ask and sell prices on decent guns. The small gage high condition Parkers are still up there but the to sell anything else sharpen your pencil! A good time to pick up some new family members?
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Dwyer For Your Post:
Pencils are being "sharpened"
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pencils are being "sharpened"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
Dean
You are absolutely right!!! I have seen several decent Parkers just playing "musical tables" among a group of dealers in the past year or so. I have also seen a BIG difference between ask and sell prices on decent guns. The small gage high condition Parkers are still up there but the to sell anything else sharpen your pencil! A good time to pick up some new family members?
David
-- The best looking 12 gauge Parkers at going market prices I have seen from dealers- to my mind anyway- seem to be at Steve Barnett and Stephen Cobb--but I haven't seen them all. I tried to log onto to Chadick's- but keep getting a "server FUBAR notice"-- I still prefer to buy direct from brother PGCA members whenever possible--