Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Verney Carron
Unread 04-07-2022, 01:24 AM   #1
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Verney Carron

I picked this one up recently. I’m a 16 gauge fan and this seemed interesting. It’s my first French shotgun. It was sold as used but I couldn’t find evidence it had ever been fired. Of course it’s a 16 gauge, 27 inch barrels, 14 3/4 LOP and high dimensions. Chokes are around skeet and a tight mod. The checkering is nicely executed but at about 3 lines per inch. Just kidding. I’m not sure of the LPI but it’s rather open. It has fairly nice wood and decent finish. Some open pores but not bad. Chambers are 65 mm. It’s marked only “Verney Carron” on one side and “St. Etienne” on the other. There is no model marked. Proofs are standard for a gun manufactured in St. Etienne. The trigger guard is engraved with the retailer’s name, Rougier, in Gisors, France. It’s nicer than I expected and when I shouldered it, ahhh, sweet. I took it out for clays and the bonding magic happened. It is the proverbial magic wand. I don’t know how they made a 6 lb, 16 gauge which is also perfectly balanced and mild on the shoulder. It shoots like a dream. I prefer a raised, filed rib and this shotgun has a swamped rib. No problem. I hammered everything with it. At one point I ran 72 in a row. It wasn’t the most difficult course but for me, with a new gun, that’s just amazing. I shot it as well or better than anything else I own. I was shocked. The choke setup was perfect and the triggers crisp. Just a pleasure to shoot. I’m a particular fan of Italian guns but this French gun impressed the heck out of me. I can’t wait to have it in the field this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8937A413-2C77-4693-A854-9E68876E6B85.jpg (487.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg B9F4D749-524A-420C-BC71-1D3643EBC2BD.jpg (481.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 249B3DBB-1CAE-4CF0-B61E-D5D70324704C.jpg (506.2 KB, 5 views)
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote