Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 03-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #31
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Stan, thanks for the recommendations. Duly noted and also now on the agenda. I'm sure when Elaine hears about The Blue and White, the trip will be a "go." One summer we took a trip using the book, Eat Your Way Across America, and our trips often include out of the way and unique restaurants. I can now present the trip as a hunting/gun AND eating pilgrimage. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
When you visit that area around Tunica be sure to make time for a meal at The Blue and White. What a great nostalgic place to eat breakfast, lunch, or supper. At one time there was a closed circuit tv hanging on the wall that showed live footage from a local duck blind. Diners who couldn't hunt any more, or didn't for some other reason, could have breakfast while watching live hunts.

BTW, their potato soup is over the top. Melted cheddar on top, sprinkled with bacon crumbles. I had it one evening for supper and again the next morning for breakfast!

P.S. There's a great museum in Stuttgart, AR, across the big rivvah aways. Interesting historic stuff about the beginnings of it becoming "The Rice Capital of the World", which led to it's beginnings as a duck mecca. Nowadays much of the rice acreage around Stuttgart has been replaced by corn. Ducks don't like corn any better than they do rice.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #32
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
For Charlie and Milton -- I thought about you guys when I saw these monsters. The Purdey was my favorite.

I did not mention the duck decoys and original duck stamp art that I saw, did I? Spectacular!
Not sure on the punts guns but Im going to guess the other three are 4 bores especially that double.

Not to hijack your thread but here are some 4 bores and other waterfowling guns at around the 2 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW2UU3JdpGw
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 09:37 AM   #33
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Not sure on the punts guns but Im going to guess the other three are 4 bores especially that double.

Not to hijack your thread but here are some 4 bores and other waterfowling guns at around the 2 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW2UU3JdpGw
There was a nice 8 in there, too. It looked like a 20 gauge in comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1329 2.jpg (488.8 KB, 2 views)
Unread 03-20-2022, 08:50 AM   #34
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 342 Posts

I was lucky enough to have been a member of Beaver Dam Club for 9 years. I was friends with Bill Andrews, Dr. Chubby Andrews son. Dr. Andrews knew I loved fine doubles and as we were getting ready for a morning hunt he handed me Bo Whoop II and said "why don't you use this one today". I killed a limit of mallards with it. It is still a highlight of my shooting and gunning life. What they say about the Becker guns is true. They kill ducks at amazing ranges.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #35
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
I was lucky enough to have been a member of Beaver Dam Club for 9 years. I was friends with Bill Andrews, Dr. Chubby Andrews son. Dr. Andrews knew I loved fine doubles and as we were getting ready for a morning hunt he handed me Bo Whoop II and said "why don't you use this one today". I killed a limit of mallards with it. It is still a highlight of my shooting and gunning life. What they say about the Becker guns is true. They kill ducks at amazing ranges.
Shooting at Beaver Dam would be special in and of itself. Doing so with that gun would indeed be memorable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #36
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
BTW, we also revisited Hampton Plantation in South Carolina on our trip...but that's another story for another time. Needless to say, we had a great road trip.
Well now if you made it to Hampton you were within I’d say 20-30 miles of The Backwoods Quail Club ! You should give some thought into returning in mid October for a few days and shoot the Fall Southern Side by Side . While I like Sanford just fine , Rock Mountain and the Fall Southern were my two highlights of the 2021 clay targets shoots . Well you can add Prospect Hall in WVA but they’re mostly one day deals .
Unread 03-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #37
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Well now if you made it to Hampton you were within I’d say 20-30 miles of The Backwoods Quail Club ! You should give some thought into returning in mid October for a few days and shoot the Fall Southern Side by Side . While I like Sanford just fine , Rock Mountain and the Fall Southern were my two highlights of the 2021 clay targets shoots . Well you can add Prospect Hall in WVA but they’re mostly one day deals .
Thanks, Craig. I've never shot organized clays in my life. When I get too old to go grouse hunting in October any more, I'll give it a try. The way I shoot, I could provide great comedy relief at these shoots.
Unread 03-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #38
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,865 Times in 4,753 Posts

Garry, we don't go to win. I won a gun championship the first time I entered a vintage gun tournament at the Southern. I haven't won anything since, but I've written a bunch of checks to gun sellers.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Craig. I've never shot organized clays in my life. When I get too old to go grouse hunting in October any more, I'll give it a try. The way I shoot, I could provide great comedy relief at these shoots.
Everyone’s been in that exact boat their first try be it skeet , trap , sporting or live birds . And everyone assumes others will laugh at them . I’ve found that to be about 180 degrees from the truth . Heck I’ve been shooting clay birds for a bit over fifty years and last year was the first time I’d ever shot live pigeons in competition . Folks at a pigeon ring seem to be even more complimentary than folks at the clay target games .