Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #21
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

I had someone who I trust and knows a lot more about antique gunmakers and flintlocks than I do take a look at it. In my pictures the hammers are at half-cock. At full-cock they are a lot further back and he immediately said that it seemed like a long way for a hammer to travel to ignite a cap. His opinion was that it was a flintlock that had been converted.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #22
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is a very valid point - I have heard that before.
Apparently, the greater distance through which the hammer falls (pivots) allows it to build up more speed & the flint will hit the frizzen with a faster (harder) strike.
All of this extra distance/speed is of no value to merely set off a percussion cap. Excess force will merely batter the nipples.
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mazza For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #23
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

Thanks for the comments John, I know there are different views on this, but I would like to re-convert this back to a flintlock.

If you think about it, it was probably a flintlock for 25-50 years and a percussion for 125-150 years. I have been wanting an original/antique upland sxs flintlock and finding a good original is both hard and expensive. Converting this one back to flintlock would make it "correct" again and give me something nice I would actually use on occasion.

I need to find someone to do the reconversion and will do that after the new year. I think it will be a wonderful gun back as a flintlock.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2022, 08:58 PM   #24
Joe Wood
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay, IMO, your gun was definitely made as a flintlock. And it has the original Manton Style patent breech which is still there. Reconversion to flintlock would be discouraged. It can be done but a quality job by a real pro would probably cost in the vicinity of $5,000 to $10,000. Castings could be used but it would always look like a cobbled together piece and the reliability of the lock would be doubtful. An oxymoron is a “good, cheap flintlock”.
Joe Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Wood For Your Post: