Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #51
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

We are all opinionated as to what load works best for our favorite bird. Walking thru a cut the other day, i found 3 Win Super 1 oz of fours, unfired shells that someone had recently lost. Wow, that would certainly kill a grouse , but doubt many of us would never shoot that in our 20's. The next day , I spied an unfired yellow shell and it was marked Spred-R 6, well I'll shoot that I thought, must be a Polywad. As I started to drop it in the gun, I thought it looked a little long, and sure enough was a 3" shell. Some how a 3" spreader just doesnt seem right.
I will give those shells to my son who wants to go pheasant hunting this year, and has taken Tues off so he can go with me. I recently gifted him a little 20 ga ou Zoli Gray Eagle with double triggers and 3" chambers..
Unread 11-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #52
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold

Challenging hunt for sure, but you found a way to get amongst them each day and that’s something for this year! Well Done!
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #53
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Harold, I enjoyed reading of your success. It helped soothe the angst of few birds for us here in Northern Minnesota. Don't you wish the Ohio birds were still there?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #54
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Every day Garry, every day.
We had a little better weather than you in the UP. When we got 2 in snow, you got 4. We both hunted SE Ohio for years, you Minnesota for 33 yrs, and me the UP for 35. I just got a little luckier this time. Can't wait for next year
Unread 11-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #55
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Postscript: Our last day -- Sunday -- started windy with gusts in excess of 50 mph. We spent the morning packing the truck, thinking the weather might take another hunting day from us, but when the winds finally calmed in the early afternoon, we hit the woods. The day turned memorably beautiful -- sunny and still. The grouse must have been waiting for this break in the weather, because we were into them right out of the truck. In a little over 2 hours we moved 12 birds for 15 flushes with two nice points by Aspen and two birds downed from the four shots I had. I got to blood the little 20 gauge CHE (yes, Reggie, it has a straight/splinter stock), a real treat for me. It was a great ending to this trip, and was all the sweeter because of the poor conditions that preceded it.

We'll be home on Wednesday. I'll spend some days in tree stands at the farm with the bow, and some days in home covers chasing Bobs. Our firearms deer season begins on the 14th. Is there a richer time of year for the hunter?

I hope everyone has a safe and successful season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4124.jpg (568.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4133.jpg (499.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4145.jpg (564.1 KB, 4 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #56
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Indeed, there is NO richer time of the year.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #57
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Harold, I accidentally posted in your thread. Please forgive me. In my defense, all I can say is that I kept looking at your thread and the great photos and accounts of hunts, and probably subconsciously wanted to be there. Again, my apologies.
Unread 11-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #58
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

What a way to go out! Glad the weather gave you a break. I was going to hunt Sat and leave Sun, but ended up leaving Sat. High winds and more snow hit on Sun.
Garry, did you know that the Ohio grouse season which used to run thru Feb 28, now ends Nov 29 on public land--not that I would shoot one, I still know where some pockets of birds are, but wont touch them
Unread 11-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #59
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
What a way to go out! Glad the weather gave you a break. I was going to hunt Sat and leave Sun, but ended up leaving Sat. High winds and more snow hit on Sun.
Garry, did you know that the Ohio grouse season which used to run thru Feb 28, now ends Nov 29 on public land--not that I would shoot one, I still know where some pockets of birds are, but wont touch them
Harold, I keep up with the Ohio grouse situation, and I have watched the tragedy develop over time. I spent many a late February chasing Ohio grouse. It was a magic time of year. I fear Kentucky and West Virginia are headed for the same fate, and my home state of Virginia is in the same situation. I don't understand why folks who claim to care about the environment can't see that managing it is a good thing, not bad. It's often the same folks who want us to follow the science for action against climate change, but deny the science that says forests are healthy when there's diversity within them. The older I get, the more weary I get with "people."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #60
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Sure sound like a wonderful trip! Be safe getting home
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!