Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #11
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
When I was young I was only allowed to shoot squirrels with a 22 single shot . And if I didn’t shoot them in the head my grandfather would tell me about it
If that 22 would have been in my hands and we were planning on Squirrel for dinner , we would have been mighty hungry !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 11-21-2022, 07:26 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
If that 22 would have been in my hands and we were planning on Squirrel for dinner , we would have been mighty hungry !
Grandfather was right beside me the first time I plunked a deer . Had my brand new 700 BDL 243 WIN with a Frank Special Bushnell Scopechief IV 2.5-8x on top , doe was about fifty yards away and he told me shoot her a little bit above between the eyes . As he was almost finished saying it the gun boomed the deer dropped and the hole was where he told me to put it . Granted he’d carried me all over creation that summer shooting groundhogs with my nice new 243 shooting Remington 100 grain CorLokt factory loads .
Unread 11-22-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

This Remington always looked like the proper squirrel gun to me --

140674 10a.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

now that is a squirl gun....mighty nice....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2022, 04:02 PM   #15
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,675 Times in 2,634 Posts

When I was a kid I'd sit on a hillside of oaks on my Pappy's farm and pick them off one-by-one with the Winchester 67A. Shoot half dozen, take them to the "skinning tree", give them to my mom and she'd quarter them and brown them in butter. I can still smell the kitchen.
Mike Koneski is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-23-2022, 04:11 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
When I was a kid I'd sit on a hillside of oaks on my Pappy's farm and pick them off one-by-one with the Winchester 67A. Shoot half dozen, take them to the "skinning tree", give them to my mom and she'd quarter them and brown them in butter. I can still smell the kitchen.
That’s what I started with ! Winchester 67A bought the gun for $15 when I was seven , I saved up $7.50 and my pop paid the other half . My father refinished the wood and my grandfather cleaned the metal and cold blued it . As some might say , that 67A was the start of my downfall and a lifetime of ruination in guns and hunting Bwahahahahaha
Unread 11-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #17
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,675 Times in 2,634 Posts

I'm teaching my oldest grandson how to shoot with the 67A and the Winchester low-wall. He's taking to it like a duck to water. He's 7 and he's already ringing steel at 50, 70, 80 and 105 yards. He's the fourth generation to use that 67A.
Mike Koneski is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I had a single shot 20 gauge Stevens when I was a kid and I killed a lot of pheasants, bunnies and a few ducks with it but when I hunted squirrels I always used the Remington bolt-action .22 with a cheap Weaver scope that my parents gave me for Christmas in 1958 when I was 10 years old. That was a deadly little rifle and I would always try for head shots. I hate lead pellets in my meat, once having cracked a molar on one. Even when shooting grouse and woodcock I try to lead them enough to minimize shot pellets in the breast meat. I am often successful but not always.
Took the head clean off a grouse two seasons ago but this year in Maine I killed a woodcock somebody else must have peppered with lead shot as I discovered a pellet in the breast meat. It was a No. 8 Rio pellet and I was shooting RST 8's….

Incidentally, that woodcock breast is almost overdone!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BC6C5ADA-2B02-4251-BCD1-A44B0870ABE2.jpeg (401.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg F8099D09-CB83-4321-905E-6E6E419D8A23.jpg (507.6 KB, 5 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2022, 10:12 PM   #19
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

When I was a boy I had a JC Higgins Tenite stocked .410 S X S. My Dad owned and ran a big country store. He sold shells and cartridges, and I'd use the 11/16 oz. 3 inch loads for squirrels, in size 6. I killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with that little gun, and sold the squirrels for $.25 each. I know it was illegal to sell game, but I did. The shells cost me $.12 apiece, at the time, AIR. if I had to shoot twice I broke even ....... not good.

One CHRISTmas I asked for a .22 rifle. I was given a new Remington Nylon 11, a bolt action, clip fed gun. I could get .22 ammo from Dad for not much over a penny apiece. I reasoned that I was going to get rich market hunting squirrels, rabbits, and an occasional 'coon. I abandoned the .410 for the .22, and never looked back. Never did get rich market hunting, however ............
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2022, 10:44 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
When I was a boy I had a JC Higgins Tenite stocked .410 S X S. My Dad owned and ran a big country store. He sold shells and cartridges, and I'd use the 11/16 oz. 3 inch loads for squirrels, in size 6. I killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with that little gun, and sold the squirrels for $.25 each. I know it was illegal to sell game, but I did. The shells cost me $.12 apiece, at the time, AIR. if I had to shoot twice I broke even ....... not good.

One CHRISTmas I asked for a .22 rifle. I was given a new Remington Nylon 11, a bolt action, clip fed gun. I could get .22 ammo from Dad for not much over a penny apiece. I reasoned that I was going to get rich market hunting squirrels, rabbits, and an occasional 'coon. I abandoned the .410 for the .22, and never looked back. Never did get rich market hunting, however ............
The lady my grandparents worked for kept race horses and fighting cocks . She also paid a bounty on hawks and groundhogs . My grandfather supplemented his income killing hawks and groundhogs . This was in the 50’s and 60’s , she paid $5.00 for a Hawk and if memory serves $3.50 for groundhog tails . At the same time or county paid a $0.50 bounty on hawks . So my grandfather would turn his hawks in to the person at the farm that handled that part of it then cut the heads off and take them to the county clerk . All he ever used were a couple 22 Hornets and a Remington Model 722 in 222 REM I still have .