Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

22K and counting
Unread 11-06-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,245 Times in 1,201 Posts

Default 22K and counting

Four years ago I found a 1949 Winchester M-12 Field gun, 12 gauge with 32” barrel that was reworked by Simmons in 1995 to include one of their vent ribs and a nicely figured MC stock. She was redone as a Trap gun and shot a little high for sporting clays. I reworked the comb to shoot “flat” and began to use her as my go-to sporting gun. About a year later I got distracted when putting her in the vertical gun rack on my cart, didn't use the elastic safety strap, and she fell off while backing down the incline at Station 10 at Rock Mountain. That badly dinged and cracked the buttstock. I replaced it with a Deluxe stock that I found at a Gun Show and added a tapered spacer under a Jostam recoil pad because someone had cut the butt at an odd angle for pitch. I’m careful to clean and lube the bolt locking cut in the receiver after each outing and once in a while I’ll pull the barrel and lube the slide nub that works the bolt. I’ll also lube both extractor springs. Otherwise no special cleaning other than a rag into the bolt opening to clean out burned powder. I use Alliant E3 in my reloads and it's so clean burning I don't clean the barrel all that often. Anyway, today I fired the 22,000 th shot since she came to me. The bolt lift is still as measured when I first got her and with no wear indicated. Same with the sllde lock engagement. Extraction and ejection are perfect with any shell I care to fire; almost always my Rem Gun Club and STS reloads with 7/8 or 1-ounce of 7-1/2's at 1200 speed.

Winchester claimed that with proper care Model 12’s would hold up for something like 325,000 rounds. Not sure how the Big Red W extrapolated to that figure but I tend to believe it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9681.jpg (497.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9682.jpg (493.2 KB, 4 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

Geez Frank you been busy, 4 years and 22K and I know that's not the only gun you've been shooting. Impressive

I don't recall ever hearing "Rock Mountain" and "incline" ever used in the same sentence. The flat landers just won't get it
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,245 Times in 1,201 Posts

Station 10 is the one about half way around the RM main course and during events it's posted not to drive carts down the incline because of congestion at the shooting butts there. Otherwise we use the carts to access. My gang are dedicated shooters and we shoot on most Wednesdays and Sundays except for hunting and on heavy rain days. Usually at the Rock but at other clubs on occasion. Any members at the Rock at about 930am on those days are welcome to shoot with us, whatever ya brung that day. Randy is right, I shoot a variety of guns to include SxS's, other Model 12's and 42's though this M12 pictured is my regular gal when shooting along with the o/u's and gas guns used by my friends. Love her 32" barrel; that extra 3-1/2" along the length of the receiver is like shooting a high sighting plane SxS or over/under with 35-36" barrels but a bit more dynamic.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

They are built like tanks so 325k shouldn't be a problem. You are one of the best M12 shuckers I've seen next to Herb Parsons.
Unread 11-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #5
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Frank, you'd like to play with my Wingmaster. It has a 34" Remington trap barrel. Now, that's a long sighting plane!

Barrel isn't all original however. It was back bored so much, for card shooting, that it now has .063" choke. Tight doesn't begin to describe that baby.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Frank, you'd like to play with my Wingmaster. It has a 34" Remington trap barrel. Now, that's a long sighting plane!

Barrel isn't all original however. It was back bored so much, for card shooting, that it now has .063" choke. Tight doesn't begin to describe that baby.
Turkey shoot special I bet?
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

that's the most choke in a gun I ever heard about...I need to borrow this gun to shoot those long beards that hang up way out yonder...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2022, 07:56 PM   #8
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson View Post
Turkey shoot special I bet?

Absolutely. I've got an ear to the ground right now for a "turkey shoot" near enough to try it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #9
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
that's the most choke in a gun I ever heard about...I need to borrow this gun to shoot those long beards that hang up way out yonder...charlie
I need to spend some time this winter patterning it on the plate with different shot sizes.