Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

First Blood
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default First Blood

As I stepped into the inky blackness of predawn Saturday morning to let Daisy have her pre breakfast constitutional the stars shown like a million diamonds and a hard frost was revealed in the beam of the flashlight. I didn't need to be clubbed over the head to know this was a morning for bird dogs, Parkers and Pheasants.

Time clicked ever so slowly as I awaited what I thought an appropriate hour to call Tim at the Haymarsh to see if he could fit me in on such late notice on a weekend. At 7am I couldn't take it any longer and made the call. He gave me four fields totaling 160 acers. I dug deep into my pocket and forked over my hard earned funds for the required three bird release. As I prepared gear, dogs and Parker I kicked myself for not having the forsight to have done this last night as I was burning daylight getting things in order and I could have already been there enjoying the morning.

I selected a gun I haven't used befor other than to shoot a round of Sporting Clays. It's a DHE 20 procured from one of our members (membership does have it's perks) but with a couple of oddities in that it was ordered with a 15 inch LOP and sling swivels! Now I ask you, who would put sling swivels on a 20 guage Parker?

Age has it's privledges and Gunner hit the ground first and he made the most of his opportunity nailing a Rooster in short order. My first shot a game with the Parker folded the bird but he landed is a cattail slew much to my dismay and he wasn't hit that well either. Gunner undaunted by the task at hand hunted dead and pointed the very much alive bird. I sloshed through the water and as the bird tried to run Gunner made the retrieve. Gunner and I hunted for an hour or so but didn't come up with another bird. Some good points but these birds are runners and all we had was one wild flush and that bird was never seen again.

Daisy was voiceing her imense displeasure at being left behind so we headed back to give her a turn. She had managed to enlarge one of the holes in the door as she tried to eat her way out of the dog box. We don't call her "Crazy Daisy" for nothing. We covered a lot of ground befor she found her first bird. It was point, crawl to relocate, point, crawl etc for a solid 50 yards untill she froze solid and didn't move. I walked in and flushed another rooster and the right barrel brought him down and Daisy found her prize. By now the sun was high in the sky and the morning frost was long gone. To complicate matters there wasn't a breath of breeze to help the dogs along in the quest for feathered prey. It was 12:30 when Daisy located her second bird and it was another runner. This was a hen the that I saw run out from a clump of brush Daisy was pointing. This bird was a track star as she hit a two track like she was trying to qualify the the Pheasant Olympics. Peseraverance and good dog work brought her to the game vest.

We had our three birds, all the dogs got a chance to get in the field and the Parker made its game debut successfully. A better morning couldn't have been had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Blood 001.jpg (245.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 002.jpg (203.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 003.jpg (241.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 004.jpg (251.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 005.jpg (257.2 KB, 8 views)
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

A few more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Blood 006.jpg (232.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 007.jpg (227.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 009.jpg (302.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg First Blood 010.jpg (253.2 KB, 9 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Rich ,Looks like a great day out !! Beautiful pictures and a nice looking Parker , years ago I ask the same question when some one showed a small bore with sling swivels ," Why a sling on a 20 Ga. gun ??? I had a lot of replies about that ,if I remember the post correctly one fella said he would sling the gun and pull a sled with him to the top of the hill ,hunt ,sling the gun and then ride it back down the hill ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Richard, Great lookin dogs, and a wonderful story to go with the morning coffee.
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thoes dogs related look a lot alike.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

i could see the frost and all those glittering diamonds...what a rush those are fine looking dogs and what a hunt only thing that could have been better was if each and every one us thad read this could have been along.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Calvin the dogs are not related. The first picture is Gunner age 14 the other dog is Daisy age 6. They would have made great puppies but unfortunatly both are nuetered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gotta love a great hunting story A+. Thanks for the photos....
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit William Maynard's homepage!