Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Opening Day of Phez.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Default Opening Day of Phez.

Well yesterday was the Pa. Pheasant opener ,it was a very nice ,cool and overcast start of the day ! My Buddy for the day was Rich and his GSP Sam ! Old Chip and Sam make a good team and I guess Rich and I do as well ! We had a great day out ,not too many Birds moved but Rich managed one Rooster and got his first Woodcock yesterday ! I ended up with a pair of Woodcock at the end of my barrels and when it was my turn to take a Rooster both Dogs pointed him " A beautiful sight " and while we were trying to flush him ,he flushed on his own about 50 yards down over the hill ! Must have run like a Gazelle ! Fun was had by all but the Phez. and the Woodcock , about three hours into it ,old Chip wore out ,I kenneled him and we used my buddies GSP .to finish out the day ,I guess we hunted for about five hours or so , it is sad to see Chip getting so old so quick !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Opening Day ,Rich ,Phez. and woodcock 001.JPG (353.1 KB, 10 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i tire out in about 3 hrs too..me chip would make a good team...looks like yall had a good hunt....keep them 410 barrels hot but rest it a spell with the 28 ga.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

I guess to be honest ,I tire out a little too after about 3 hours ! My Buddy Rich ,in the picture is about eight years or so younger than me ,I try to tell him but he doesn't believe it ! He Will ! Russ
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

For a minuete ther I thought Gunner, Daisy and I went to Pa for Pheasants and I was suffering from a blackout

Gunner is 14 and Crazy Daisy is already 6 it's hard to see them age. I came home from the weekend Grouse hunt and had everything put away, made several trips in and out of the house, brought Daisy in and Gunner was sound asleep on the bed the whole time. He is about deaf as a post I hope to get him out to the haymarsh for some released Pheasants where I can keep a close eye on him.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Rich,
It's good to hear that Gunner at 14 can still get out in the field. My Lab will turn 10 at the end of this month and has the heart to go all day but after about three hours needs to be put up for her own good. Last week we only managed two birds but that was more poor shooting than anything. This week Deb and I did our part and Miss Brooke was home early.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (184.9 KB, 4 views)
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Nice picture Larry ,looks like a good day out ! I sure would have really enjoyed it had my wife taken up hunting ,she just had no interest at all ,but I will say this in the 37 years we have been married ,she has never complained about the time I have spent afield or any of the guns and equipment I have gathered along the way ! Sounds like your Lab and my Britt would work well together ,about three hours into it and I can see he has had enough !
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Russ,
Like all of us I dread the day I will have to say goodbye to this dog. She has been the absolute best dog/companion I have ever had. I have always thought that because we are not getting any younger that my next dog would be a pointing breed. I recently returned from a trip to New Brunswick were we hunted for grouse and woodcock. I had the opportunity to hunt behind a Brittany that the camp owner had and he was a wonderful dog. He is a three year old with a good personality, lots of drive and a great nose. I plan to do some research on the various breeds of pointers but right now for me the Brittany is in first place.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

its a plus for sure if a fellows mate takes up hunting and the love of the outdoors...russ my wife never had any interest in hunting or fishing either..as you stated russ she never complained what i bought or collected either...i guess it was a good thing she did not have interest in my needed things we would not be able to get in the house for the colectables...very good pictures and hope the older dogs have several seasons left.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

As with everything we all have our favorites. But for me you can't beat a Britt but I am developing an interest in the French Brittney line also.
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Larry ,the mother of my current dog Chip ,was the absolute best dog I have ever hunted over ,and the best family pet we ever had ! We had to put her down last Thanksgiving from Breast Cancer ,one of the toughest days ever in our home ! I had my heart set on an English Setter and we were at our local " Ligonier Days " a venue in Oct. for towns folk to sell and buy home made crafts , any way the Pa. Game commission had a booth and one of the Game Land Managers had a couple of Pups there out of his litter to sell. We were walking toward the Booth and this little Tri Colored Britt came tearing out of the little make shift kennel it was in and with people everywhere by passed everyone and jumped up on my little 5 year old Daughter and began licking her face and running circles around her ! Finally the owner caught the pup and after we laughed about what had happened ,he said it was for sale ,I balked at first but when those Little Girls Eyes started to tear up ,WELL........You know , I gave in and we had a new Brittany ! The best thing that could have happened , when Maggie adopted us for her Family ! Great to live with ,smart ,very affectionate ,and even I can train one to a respectable degree!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post: