Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Spreading Pheasants
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Spreading Pheasants

The last few days, I tried to fit a little pheasant hunting in during my busy work week. For the time being I am able to do so while daylight savings time is on my side. I was able to squeeze in about a hour and a half of pheasant hunting in on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I got skunked Tuesday and Friday. On Thursday I was able to get a nice rooster using the Spread-R loads . Saturday (today) was another fruitful day. Got up in the dark and I was in the woods at the crack of dawn. Benny put the first hen up about forty five minutes into the hunt. Took me a little off guard this time. Benny did not go through his usual routine. This time he just stopped and stared.. I took a step forward and he rushed into the brush.. The hen took off up to the left and over the water like a bat out of hell.. I fired a Spread-R and down she went into the drink... Good thing my hunting companion can swim.. He went in and got her for me... Once retrieved, we got back into the hunt and as we were walking I happen to slide into this little waterhole about three foot by three foot.. Well, let me tell you I sank up to my waist. I have to say, I was a little nervous on my way down, I just did not want to go over my head.. These small "water holes" are mud and water. Thought I may have to use the ole Parker as a tool to stop my decent and to keep my head above water...If you get my drift. My muck boots filled with water, but I was able to pull myself out pretty easy and my Parker stayed dry. Walked over to the nearest rock and sat down and emptied my boots..I was wet but, ready to finish the hunt. No more than a few minutes later Benny was on the scent... He did his usual routine but, with much more excitement and with added dance. He did his "zig zag" pattern and "stub wag" and this time he began to "spring" up above the grass which was knee high. I believe he did this so, so he could see what was happening and to track the bird. (which I could not see) My heart was pounding! This was pure excitement. I was ready and finally the hen went up behind me. I spun around and I squeezed off.. Down she went... Yes, another Spread-R load.. Limited out and soak and wet I sloshed my way towards the truck.... Passing hunters looking at myself and Benny covered and mud and water. We must of been a sight. Just as I crested the hill for my truck a Game Warden is there waiting...Checking hunters as they exit the woods. He looked at me and Benny and Chuckled and asked, "any luck".. I said, yes I got two birds... His reply.. Looks like you worked for them... Yes I did... We chated for a few moments and off he went... Anyway.. The last three birds I harvested were great hunts.. Classic shots, in the open, put up with a upland dog, and with one shot...(from a Parker). I am a true believer in the Spread-R loads. I would recommend them to anyone. Just as a fellow "Parker" hunter did for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050648.jpg (589.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1050635.jpg (500.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050646.jpg (544.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050643.jpg (574.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050644.jpg (557.7 KB, 0 views)
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

The PGCA forums are a great place to visit. A place to learn to the smallest level of detail. I will admit though, Hunting with Parkers does give me the most reading pleasure in any given session on the site. Pretty sure only another hunter can appreciate the pleasure behind such a mud soaked day. I often wonder what pleasure it might give to the early gun makers if they could know their good work still translates to enjoyable days afield. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Jack
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

im with you jack...hunting with the old double seems to fill a need in us...many of a good hunt and lots of good memories are behind some of my old doubles...and im sure the parker boys are still smiling....keep them parkers warm.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: