Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Black powder or Black powder substitute
Unread 12-28-2022, 06:57 AM   #1
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Black powder or Black powder substitute

Was curious what people were using for black powder or black powder substitutes.
Do you find there are any major differences using either?
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

When I loaded non smokeless in my hunting muzzleloader I used a variety of things . But never true black or Pyrodex . I used stuff called Black Canyon which eventually changed to Cleanshot and finally went under . I used this stuff because it had no sulfur or the normal corrosive properties of BP . After Cleanshot I went to Hodgdon 777 and it worked very well for me . The no sulfur powders I mentioned were quite easy to clean , in actuality all you needed was tap water and patches . I’ve taken all three of the non sulphuric powders I mentioned in unburned form then put water on them and they dissolved . Once or twice I forgot to clean my ML after the season having fired it but set in the corner for a month or two . Water and clean patches clean it right up with no rust .
Unread 12-28-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,586 Times in 385 Posts

For me I use Blackhorn 209 in my inline and For loading 38-55 , 45-70 , 45-90 , 50-110.
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #4
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great information guys thank you. So I think my goal this year is to load up some BP loads in brass shells. I’m hoping to find a non corrosive substitute with load data. There are so many choices I’m just not sure which way to go.
Unread 12-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,791 Times in 3,967 Posts

I ve used home made black powder that works very good in any thing pistol and shotgun...just dirty..i use water and stainless steel brush for cleanup....that stainless steel brush is the thing for dried powder in the barrel...777 is a good stout substiue for black powder....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,295 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L. Martin View Post
For me I use Blackhorn 209 in my inline and For loading 38-55 , 45-70 , 45-90 , 50-110.
I prefer Blackhorn in my Cooper inline muzzle loader as well, I guess I'm being a sissy, too lazy to clean
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

BH209 in my Inlines, and real black in my Flintlock and caplock guns.
Unread 12-28-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Is there any preference for loading shotshell?
Unread 12-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Riddell View Post
Great information guys thank you. So I think my goal this year is to load up some BP loads in brass shells. I’m hoping to find a non corrosive substitute with load data. There are so many choices I’m just not sure which way to go.
I use commercial or homemade BP loaded into thrice-fired Federal papers - first shot is the factory load, then twice as regular reloads with smokeless usually IMR 700-X powder, a personal favorite in papers. A third reload in Federal papers usually develops pin burn holes above the base and that's the one I load with BP, fiber wads, bare shot and a regular pie crimp. and then discard the hull after firing. After shooting the black powder shells on a course or at a tourney, I'll shoot two regular smokeless shells thru each barrel which greatly aids in the cleanup.

It's my understanding that Triple 7 powder uses a different oxidizer that's more energetic than the nitrate in BP. Anyone using/planning to use Triple 7 is well advised to stick with loads that are published by its manufacturer.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #10
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

I like using the real stuff. I have used Goex for years, which is good. I have used Old Eynesford in 1 1/2f for 10 gauge loads, which I like.

Lately though, I have switched over to Swiss powder as it is a little hotter and cleaner than Goex. I use this in my 45/70s, 44 Russian, 45 colt, paper sharps, cap and ball revolvers, muzzleloaders and of course in brass shotshells for my Parker hammer guns(for which I use 2f).

Lot's of good loading resources online. There is nothing like shooting a double with a Parker hammer gun and black powder brass shotshells, which is what it would have used when new
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: