Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #31
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Plante View Post
As far as the powder being unknown, I get that. However, with a potential 60lb haul, determining what the powder is, its characteristics (burn rate, pressure build, density, etc.) is not that difficult to do and would provide me with years worth of usable reloading supply. I've done it many time before and I'll be able to do it in this case, I'm sure.
The powder used in industrial loads most assuredly isn’t the same or same burn rate as what is deemed appropriate for these old doubles . Nice idea but I wouldn’t chance it in any of mine .
Unread 12-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #32
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

I am wondering why you would need a low velocity commercial load. Close sections and fear of kickback? It seems to run counter to why you need an industrial load in the first place. From things I have seen in the European press, they have new shells actually at higher pressures and velocities from the normal industrial loads.

One other thing I found was that after working on a resizing method, and finally getting a few cases to try, I found that my Scott made in 1872 was actually chambered for the 8 gauge industrial shell head. On firing, the front section expands to the same size, and the original hull head fits perfectly. I have had the gun examined by several knowledgeable people (on British guns) and the unaminous opinion is that it is original and pristine. I wondered if anyone else had a British 8 they used and what is it's chamber.

Guess my advice would be, if you don't have a gun yet, don't prep a bunch of expensive cases ahead of time. I wasted a lot of time and money (and several cases).
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #33
Joe Plante
Forum Associate

Member Info

It sure what you’re talking about ArtS- I’m not reloading for an 8ga. I got my hands on a ton of WW 8ga industrial loads and am salvaging the components out of them. I have no use for the hulls and wads/cards but I know guys do so I want to find out what not to do to render them unusable to the 8ga guys. I don’t want/need them but others might so I don’t want to wreck them
Joe Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #34
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

save those hulls....a box of 25 industrial shells are not that costly I see them on auction sites from time to time....there worth is being able to use the hulls in a 8 ga shotgun for hunting and such...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #35
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,002 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
Joe,
you may want to hold onto them before taking them apart, I watched a box of 25 Winchester 8 gauge Industrial ammo sell this past Saturday for $650.

I have most of a case of Winchester Industrial ammo myself, my thought was to tear it down for the hulls, primer and buckshot that it is loaded with, but I'm rethinking that.

Stan
Ive seen a original box of Remington Arrow 8 ga shells go for that price at auction. Id never pay that for industrial loads though the money just isnt there and they arent really that collectible.

When I pull apart industrial loads I just use a flat head screwdriver to unroll the crimp and salvage the hulls since it doesnt damage them. If you cut the crimp off you're probably going to end up with a 2 3/4" 8 gauge hull.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #36
Joe Plante
Forum Associate

Member Info

Milton,
Started out trying to un-roll the crimp but took way too much time- I have thousands to get through. That’s why I started zipping the crimp off but my concern was the length and whether I was rendering them useless to guys that might use them- hence the jumping onto this forum, seems like lots of guys that know about loading for these guns
Joe Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #37
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly so, that the industrial loads were 3 1/4". Wouldn't cutting just the rolled end only shorten them by 3/16" or thereabouts?

A kiln gun is a massive piece of machinery, making me think they might be pretty high pressure.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #38
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly so, that the industrial loads were 3 1/4". Wouldn't cutting just the rolled end only shorten them by 3/16" or thereabouts?

A kiln gun is a massive piece of machinery, making me think they might be pretty high pressure.
Maybe this will shed some light ! https://winchesterindustrial.com/loads.html
Unread 12-23-2022, 08:55 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

FWIW I’m partial to full length 3 1/4” hulls .
Unread 12-24-2022, 04:36 AM   #40
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,002 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post

The high velocity loads are 3oz at 1700 fps and 33k psi I believe. There used to be a guy who built and sold 8 ga industrial single shots on GB for 3k, he used a state arms 50 bmg action since its the only action with a large enough bolt.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote