Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

boy this stuff is exciting..think ill just go shoot a few rounds for the sport of it... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

For what it's worth. Lead will melt at 621 degrees F. The smoke that comes off the heated lead is usually the crap and dross on/in the lead you are using. For what you want to make, the plain lead is sufficient meaning you do not want hard slugs such as you get from wheel weights. Further, several of us shotmakers have been to the medics for blood tests to see if we are walking around in anti magnetic mode. Shucks, we all cleared the lead test. We were hoping for a class action lawsuit. The dangerous point of fooling with lead in any form is when it is heated to 1100 degrees F and begins to give off the deadly fumes. You can tell the high temp point has been reached when the surface of the melted lead begins to turn purple and gold.

Last edited by John Farrell; 12-26-2011 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: adding info
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Farrell For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Plan on pouring outside just to keep all possibility of the fumes getting to me.

Charlie I'm with you. I had the day after Christmas off and went out back and got a few of them ground squriels with some nice 12 loads with #6's at 7/8 oz. I seem to love this load for my squriel hunting.

Maybe I should post this on the hunting thread but as I was out there I heard a rabbit scream and found the bushes rustling. Just as I was on my way to check it out, out jumps my cat with a medium sized cottontail in her chops. GOOD KITTY!! I yelled at her. I took to the door for the camera and she followed. So to keep the wife happy I stayed outside not to let the cat and her prize inside. Once she was done with the fluffy bunny I pulled out my pocket knife and skinned it she watched me do the duty and went inside with her and threw it on the pot with some left over veggies and made a stew.

Kitty got her own bowl...

and ate the whole front quarters and some back meat. Funny thing she wouldn't touch it raw when I was cleaning it. Guess I found someone who likes my spicy rabbit stew.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

keith thats a good storey about your cat...im like your cat i like my meat cooked instead of being raw. ha yep them 7/8 load are really good on them squirls and just about anything else...fellow has to really hold on target though them things really shoot a close pattern through a full choke gun... i wonder if the 20 ga would do well with a 1/2 ounce load..will try it soon..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes sir. I love a full choke barrel and when I get my buck shot molds going the full choke it's going to be.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote