Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

40 inches......
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

Default 40 inches......

This past evening, on my way to a rendezvous, I stopped over a friends house who had just come into possession of a Hopkins and Allen 12 gauge single shot. That in itself wouldn't garner much attention but the damn thing has a 40 inch factory barrel! It was the longest I'd personally ever seen on a hardware store single and I was powerful impressed. Gun was tight and in good shape, what appeared to be laminated steel for the tube, showed quite a bit of case color, bore bright and pit free. Very heavy, massive wall thickness, really a painfully cool old fowler. The one draw back was it had a home made butt stock which was a trifle crude. My friend is pretty handy with the rasp and thinks he can shape it up a bit to where it doesn't look too bad. Of course the standard 4 inches of drop at heel and 13 inch LOP was present. He loves a project and once it's done my guess is the old girl might come into my possession.

Anybody ever seen one longer?

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,792 Times in 603 Posts

Destry, my brother has a 42 inch Marlin pump....hand's down the longest shotgun barrel I've come across and on a pump it's a handful .
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,228 Times in 3,274 Posts

only in flintlocks - around 52/54 was the longest Rifle and about 60 in a fowler

i have heard of "long toms" in the 38 40 inch range but not longer
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Chris,

Wow! Is it a factory length barrel? I've seen a few over the years that had an extension added on them to make a turkey / spot shoot gun. Sometimes it's very well done and hard to spot, you just see a light ring of slightly different colored blue were the weld is.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,792 Times in 603 Posts

Pretty sure its factory,I was telling another friend about the gun years ago and he could remember himself and another guy from town heading to the city on the bus to pick up new guns for Turr hunting (Common Murre) ,he picked up a 36 inch Cooey single shot and his buddy picked up one of those Marlins with the 42 inch barrel ,I re blued the barrel for my brother years ago the was no sign of a join of any type ...if the opportunity arises I'll get a photo for you .

On a side note ,I know the experts say the barrel has no effect on killing distance in a shotgun,but I have personally witnessed that gun kill a sitting rabbit stone dead between 70-80 yards(paced off )...you would swear there was a second shooter on a grassy knoll that made the kill shot !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

destrey theres a long tom hanging on the wall in corinth miss. thats got a 48 inch barrel on it..ive looked at this gun several times over the years.its a 12 ga breach loader ive tried to buy it several times the owner says he will sale it to me when he finds one with longer barrel.. and ive seen 2 long tom 16 ga with 40 inch barrels....hope you wind up with that long barrel gun... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

On page 1027 of The Parker Story is a picture (lower left) of a young man holding a DH 10 ga. with 40 inch barrels.
James
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've handled one of the famous 8 gauge 40 inch guns, quite the fowling piece.

DLH
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

i may have dreamed this but was not there a parker built with 50 plus inches built for somebody..im pretty sure i read this on this site a few years back... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,105 Posts

Destry ,I have a Model 37 Winchester with a 44 " Barrel 12 Extra Full ! Since the Purchase ,I have had the scope removed ,the Barrel reblued , a correct plastic Butt Plate and the wood refinished ,quite a unique looking piece !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model 37 Win.April 4 ,2010 008.JPG (244.7 KB, 1 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post: