Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Need Comprehensive low pressure reloading how-to
Unread 08-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
John Cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Need Comprehensive low pressure reloading how-to

I have just gotten a Parker 1879 uplift hammer 2 1/2” 12 Ga, with Damascus barrels, restored. Gunsmith proofed it with RST and said it was ok to use low pressure shells. Problem, as most know, RST, Polywad, etc., are out of stock and supply chain issues make it possible it will be a long time before they are back in the game. Reloading was suggested, but it looked like those components have supply-chain issues.

However a recent thread mentioned people now finding supplies at Brownells, maybe other sources. So, I want to consider reloading for this gun.

Sometime ago, I reloaded pistol and rifle cartridges, but I have never dealt with shotgun reloading. It’s clear from reading posts here that reloading for these vintage guns is a critical process to keep pressures low; and many variables, such as wads, shells, crimping, powder, and primers can make a big, and perhaps dangerous, difference, so it is not as simple as following cookie cutter reloading tables with standard materials.

Given the above, while I guess I could piece together parts of the science from various threads on this forum, I would like to find a resource that would comprehensively educate me on the process and materials for doing it safely without my missing a critical factor.

Can anyone point me to such a specialized resource that is reliable and clear to a newbie?

Thanks!
John Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damascus barrels, low pressure, reloading