Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker barrel length
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker barrel length

I have a Parker 12 gage that I'm curious as to whether the barrels have been cut or not. I know about the slight flat at the muzzle where the barrel matting stops, but is that always and unquestionably the case. I have learned when it comes to any of the early makes to never say never. The reason for my question is this. #1, the muzzles touch and the fillers don't look like JB Weld, but like solder. #2, the bores are .729 Right and .731 Left with chokes of .035 Right and .036 Left.#3, my bore gage shows the choke constriction in both barrels starting to constrict from nominal bore size about 4" from the muzzles, and the most sudden constriction in the last 2" of the barrels. #4 the barrels are not sleeved and are 30 1/16" long. The gun is not in the serialization book and at this point I'm not ordering a letter as I don't know if I'm keeping it yet. Also one last question as I can't remember in my senility. There is the number #835 stamped in small font on the face of the barrel lug under the barrel locking wedge. Is this an order number or maybe a stock book number? Any help you all can give is appreciated. Thanks, Lee.
lee r moege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,640 Times in 788 Posts

The barrels in question don't seem to be cut by your description but pics would help. Also, 835 should be the last 3 #s of the serial number. You can check on the PGCA home page to see if there are any surviving records for the gun. Jim
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jim: Thanks for the wake up! That's exactly what it is in this case although the full matching serial number is stamped in the normal place on the left side of the barrel lug. "Shows to go ya" anything is possible. I have owned many Parkers in 75 years but this may be a first as far as my records go with this stamp in this place and not on the barrel flats where most order numbers are and have nothing to do with the serial number. I will work up some pix soon. I plan to shoot some "clays" with it Sunday and may decide then whether to keep it or not. It isn't a CHE but just a very good shooter. Thanks, Lee.
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,212 Times in 4,914 Posts

We don't really know what you are talking about. Is the 835 part of the serial number or is it not? Full four or five digit numbers on the barrel flats are order numbers for very early hammer guns, not hammerless guns of the later years. In 75 years, you have certainly seen hammerless guns with the last three numbers of the serial number on the rear of the barrel lug.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill: Yes 835 is the last three in the serial number. I haven't owned as many Parker's as most of you so I guess I'm saying it may have been there all the time and I was to dumb not to notice it until now. I'm sure not every one I have owned ( a mere pittance by most standards) had this mark but they may have. I just checked three others and only this one has the numbers. The rest are circa 1929, and 1931, this one is 1908. My 1878 Lifter has the 4 digit numbers on the barrel flats as you state. Gosh, I love it "when dawn breaks". I think it's nearing time to see if my marbles are loose in the bag. Thanks for the info, Lee.
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

Lee, if the "fillers" (keels?) look like solder you need to do the 'scratch test'. If you can easily scratch or prick the "fillers" with a pin and leave a definite mark I'm guessing there are no steel keels in place. This should start the warning light flashin in your "marble bag". The lack of steel keels is a pretty definite indicator that the barrels are cut.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Dean: Sure enough the keels are steel. What was giving me some doubts was that there were little pits or missing solder a couple of places at the juncture of a barrel, rib, and keel both on the upper a lower ribs. The keels are tight to the top and bottom ribs only a corner up and down has the pinhole. The lack of a short blank space at the end of the top fib matting was another flag. After looking under a magnifier the last 1/8" of the top rib shows the matting slightly shallower and different in pattern to that behind the front bead. The marks are more parallel than wavy. The barrels have been re-blackened (fine job), and I'm supposing in the course of that, some solder fell out during then boiling/de-greasing/carding operation, and possibly the person doing the work thought the end of the barrel needed lines also. I'm going to shoot it Sunday and if I decide it's a keeper I will order a letter assuming it's in some book somewhere. Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to see if maybe the surgeon who replaced my heart valve may have taken advantage of my sedation and did a lobotomy also! Lee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lee r moege For Your Post: