Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Conversion of SST to double triggers
Unread 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Question Conversion of SST to double triggers

I am looking at a DHE Reproduction 12 gauge which has a single selective trigger. I've been told that it is possible to convert this gun to double triggers. Has anyone completed this type conversion and if so were there any problems after doing so?

Thanks
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,114 Posts

Hello John ,I will give you a heads up ,I ask the same question a few years ago ,the first person to answer was ,Mr Murphy ,who ask if my intentions were less than on the " up and up ,I was new to the forum and I really enjoyed that question ,at the time the double trigger guns were catching up in value with the SST's . No harm was intended ,but actually I never gave it a thought ,so at the time I mused that these guys are really sharp ,which I have found out since then ,they really are sharp !! I don't know if that thread is still in the archives or not ,but it was a very interesting conversation piece , what became of it was ,there was really very minimal parts availability and also it would be very cost prohibitive ! I started looking for a double trigger Repro that suited my fancy and still haven't made up my mind to purchase one or not ! The guys that have the Repros seem to really like them ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,935 Times in 12,566 Posts

Hello John,

It is possible to convert a SST Repro to a DT setup but you will not have a safety. The SST and DT variants use a completely different safety mechanism and the SST safety is incorporated in the single trigger mechanism and the stock of a SST gun is mortised to a much greater extent to allow for the much larger mechanism.... in other words, there is not enough wood in the necessary spot to allow for mounting the smaller safety mechanism of the DT style.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Not mention that you will need a floor plate complete with triggers and trigger spring floor plate and double trigger sear's. I just did this conversion on a original Parker and Dean iscorrect...no safety
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,176 Times in 4,897 Posts

Dave, can you start another thread and tell us how and why you did this conversion?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Convert SST to DT
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Convert SST to DT

Thank you gentlemen for your response. I have become frustrated with finding a DHE Reproduction DT 12 ga with 28" barrels. In talking to a gunsmith that did some repair work on one of my DHE Reproduction 28 gauges, I asked the question about conversion and frankly was pleased but surprised that he said it could be done. However, in my ignorance I did not ask what might happen to other working parts of the shotgun if the conversion took place. Not having a safety is a problem for me. It is one thing to be in hunting by myself for turkey or ducks, but in a duck blind with other hunters well.......
Unread 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,962 Times in 549 Posts

The 12 gauge repro's with double triggers and 28" barrels are very scarce at best...I own the only one that I ever saw listed with DT,pistol grip....and have been looking for another one ever since, particularly a steel shot special or sporting clays model with DT, pistol grip. Would suggest buying a nice original parker till you find a repro. Thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio.....(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Dan May
Forum Associate

Member Info

The stock issue could be sorted out, I have replaced missing wood in order to install a safety jacket. It wasn't easy but it is possible.

Best, Dan

Last edited by Dan May; 08-23-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Dan May is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan May For Your Post:
Visit Dan May's homepage!
Conversion of SSt to DT on DHE Reproductions
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Conversion of SSt to DT on DHE Reproductions

After being a little more armed with the experiences of other members who had been through the SST to DT process I went back to the gunsmith and yes, he was fully aware of the safety problem however his conversion included the re working of the safety. What will happen is that there will be a functional safety but it will not be a fully automatic reset safety. I have had good experiences with this gunsmith and when and if I find that 12 gauge DHE Reproduction that has the required features, except for the SST, I will give it a try and report back. In the meantime, thanks for the helpful feedback, y'all....

John