Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Allen,

A punt gun was a literal cannon that was mounted on the front of a small boat to shoot into flocks of waterfowl on the water. A standard load in the larger ones was about a pound of shot and an equal volume of black powder. They have nothing to do with any sporting gun that was ever made no matter the length of barrel. When you hear people speak of 4 and 8 gauge guns as "punt guns" you're talking to somebody who knows nothing about the subject.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,755 Times in 1,260 Posts

Thanks destry, good points. I'm familiar with punt guns. My point or rather question was when the feds outlawed the use of punt guns (and market hunting toook a dive) did the gun manufacturers revert to these 8 and 10 gauge guns as more or less a substitute (recognizing the huge difference between a real punt gun and these). I think your answer is no. The 8 and 10 gauge guns were not developed as a substitute.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Punt guns, any shoulder gun larger than 10 gauge, and the sale of migratory birds, were all outlawed at the same time in 1918. Once the sale of game was outlawed, there would have been no reason to have punt guns or any substitute as fowling became a "sport" and not a "trade". These long barrel guns were once thought to "shoot harder" and "carry further" than shorter barrel models, that was the reason they existed. I like a long barrel gun myself, but they have no real advantage in the field other than the confidence they create in ones mind.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Also we must remember that when black powder was the propellent of choice longer barrels were needed to obtain a complete burn.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'd say black powder was long out of use by the time this Marlin hit the market.

DLH