Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

My two 10's !
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,134 Times in 3,633 Posts

Default My two 10's !

At the moment I only own a pair of short 10's !

The W&C Scott I inherited from my maternal grandfather and the Ithaca my father bought about 32 years ago . I have had the Ithaca MAG 10's in Field and DeLuxe grades as well as a Remington SP-10 the year they came out and a Browning BPS . The 3 1/2" guns are nice enough but I like's my old side by's a hell of alot better !

Was at the club today testing some cast bullet loads in a couple lever guns and waiting for some friends to arrive to shoot trap and skeet . But as luck would have it , it was spitting rain/snow a bit so my "friends" chickened out !

So I decided to shoot the Ithaca at my target frame at 50 yards with my 1 1/4 ounce #8 loads . Bear in mind this is THE FIRST time this gun has been fired since we purchased it 30+ years ago . Anyway the pattern was very nice and dense at 50 yards with #8's so I think certainly I'll need to shoot a few rounds of trap with the old gun . But perhaps the next time I go to the rifle range I'll need to pattern my 00 Buck loads at 25 and 50 yards in the old Ithaca to see what I have or don't have !

Here's a couple pics of the old Ithaca at the range .

When we got the old gun she had been used fairly hard . So my father took it to a gentleman in Esmont Virginia to be rust blued as well as have the stock redone and remove the decaying pad and replaced it with ugh a Pachmeyer White Line !
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Figured while I was at the picture taking I'd snap a couple of my grandfathers old WC !

He added the Pachmeyer pad after he got the old gun back in the 50's I believe !

This has been my dove gun ever since my grandfather passed in 2007 . And it's the ONLY gun I've ever potted a deer using buckshot .

Unread 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Of those two old boys the WC is by far the better handling of the two atleast for me .
Thats also sort of the reason I'd like to add a Parker hammerless short Ten to my accumulation as well !

But lately I'm thinking a lighter Parker "bird gun" short 10 as well as a heavier framed Parker "duck gun" short 10 might be the way to go in the upcoming years

What can I say , I like to have several choices at everything
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,539 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
At the moment I only own a pair of short 10's !

The W&C Scott I inherited from my maternal grandfather and the Ithaca my father bought about 32 years ago . I have had the Ithaca MAG 10's in Field and DeLuxe grades as well as a Remington SP-10 the year they came out and a Browning BPS . The 3 1/2" guns are nice enough but I like's my old side by's a hell of alot better !

Was at the club today testing some cast bullet loads in a couple lever guns and waiting for some friends to arrive to shoot trap and skeet . But as luck would have it , it was spitting rain/snow a bit so my "friends" chickened out !

So I decided to shoot the Ithaca at my target frame at 50 yards with my 1 1/4 ounce #8 loads . Bear in mind this is THE FIRST time this gun has been fired since we purchased it 30+ years ago . Anyway the pattern was very nice and dense at 50 yards with #8's so I think certainly I'll need to shoot a few rounds of trap with the old gun . But perhaps the next time I go to the rifle range I'll need to pattern my 00 Buck loads at 25 and 50 yards in the old Ithaca to see what I have or don't have !

Here's a couple pics of the old Ithaca at the range .

When we got the old gun she had been used fairly hard . So my father took it to a gentleman in Esmont Virginia to be rust blued as well as have the stock redone and remove the decaying pad and replaced it with ugh a Pachmeyer White Line !
i had an ithaca NID 10 ga choked F/F i shot a test pattern at 40 yds with 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's and it shot a 99.6% pattern, now thats tight
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scott kittredge For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
David
Forum Associate

Member Info

Very nice i really enjoy looking at those old 10 ga
David Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

craig those are really 2 nice guns....it would be hard for me to choose between these 2 guns....i like your idea about having a lite ten and a heavy ten parker... bill murphy has one of the lighest 10 ga ive heard ofanda couplea of the guys have 5 frame ten ga parkers...i think mr bensons guns barrels alone weigh close to ten pounds... yep tens are way cool big or little....im working up a buckshot load now for the 10 ga....keep shooting and testing and keep us posted..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Check this one out Charlie. 10 ga. 29" barrels 6 lbs. 8ozs. would like to try out a few of my lite ten loads in this one 1 1/8 oz of 6's would be murder on the crows.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...gonew=1#UNREAD
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I've shot that WC 500+ times since it was left to me almost 4 years ago . I am quite certain my grandfather never came close to shooting it that much in the 50+ years he owned it .

Tommorrow I'll try and remmember to take a picture of the muzzle's on that Ithaca . Going by the barrel thickness I would be willing to bet mine is choked right darn tight as well !
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian View Post
Check this one out Charlie. 10 ga. 29" barrels 6 lbs. 8ozs. would like to try out a few of my lite ten loads in this one 1 1/8 oz of 6's would be murder on the crows.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...gonew=1#UNREAD
Even though it's twice the price I think I'd rather have this two gauge set !

http://www.gunsinternational.com/PAR...n_id=100230591
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm kinda partial to this one as well !

http://www.gunsinternational.com/PAR...n_id=100231704