Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Another Frame Question
Unread 11-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,190 Times in 463 Posts

Default Another Frame Question

Since my first post the other day turned out to be one of those unknown mysteries, I thought I would try another beginners question.

Here is a picture of one of the guns I showed the other day. It is a DH (grade 3) and documented as such by a letter. Barrels on this 1901 gun are Damascus.

I thought that the grade on Damascus guns pretty much was a function of barrel quality and the overall finish was tied to this. Here is a shot of the barrel flats on this gun.

The larger 3 I am sure is the unstruck weight (for 3 pounds even), which would be consistent with the gun weight. I believe the smaller 3 to the right is the grade. I have no idea on the C. My question is, do the D and 4 on the left signify the Damascus grade? I raise this question because the barrels appear to be 4 Croille (sp?). In the barrel picture, it looks to my untrained eye like there are 3 full rows and 1/2 row on each edge. I bought a GH from 1906 and the grade 2 gun lookes to have only 3 row Damascus, yet both barrels have the same designation on the rib. Both barrels are numbered to their frames. Any comment on what these mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211108_155434.jpg (511.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20211108_155858.jpg (382.3 KB, 2 views)
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote