Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-27-2022, 10:39 PM   #41
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

For me "best" is a descriptive term for the gun that I have owned that has done it's job the longest/most with the least amount of repairs or breakdowns. With those as my criteria I would have to say that the 20 ga. Beretta 687 SPII Sporting would get the nod. Out of some 50-something doubleguns, rifles, and pistols it is the one that has been used the most, but with no breakdowns at all. It has done high volume shooting in Cordoba Argentina twice, and done domestic duty on Southern doves and quail for 19 years. It has never even hiccuped. The closest it has ever come to needing "maintenance" was having to take a few seconds to scrub the plastic accumulations from the chambers, with a tornado brush while shooting doves in Cordoba, because ejection of empties would become sluggish. No single trigger issues, no spring problems, no striker issues, no ejector problems, no misfires due to gun issues.

I know it's not a S X S, and it's not vintage but, it's just a little petite "tank". Credit where credit is due.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #42
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A runoff between a 3rd generation 1923 Parker AAHE special order, a 1917 Fox XE,
and a 1925 Super Fox HE with tight chambers and chokes. The Super Fox is not as heavy as some at 30 inch barrels, but it balances well at 9 pounds. Excellent on geese.
The XE is also 30 inch barrels, with handling like a 16 ga bird gun. Turkey hunting can go from no problem oak and hickory understory to backwater river swamps. Hard to trade in mid-hunt for a Model 12 Heavy Duck gun.
I have probably shot more ducks, dove and turkeys with various Model 12 Winchester shotguns, they are as reliable as the day is long. Still have a few...
henderson Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to henderson Marriott For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #43
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

My HE Fox would be my 2nd choice, Henderson. Not because it is less reliable ..... it's never failed me once. But, it's not fired nearly the number of rounds the SP II has, hence it gets the nod.

Now, if I had to answer what gun would be the last I'd get rid of, it would be the old 32", 3 inch chambered Super Fox. Without question.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #44
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Now, if I had to answer what gun would be the last I'd get rid of, it would be the old 32", 3 inch chambered Super Fox. Without question.
That's probably the real question that should be asked.....

If it came to it, what firearm would be the last one you got rid of.

Good God, I hope it never comes to that though.....

It'd probably be my field grade citori, as with that gun I can still hunt everything I hunt today, plus it's fine for shooting clay games too. It can take a pounding.... No need to baby it.
Unread 06-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #45
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
That's probably the real question that should be asked.....

If it came to it, what firearm would be the last one you got rid of.

Good God, I hope it never comes to that though.....

It'd probably be my field grade citori, as with that gun I can still hunt everything I hunt today, plus it's fine for shooting clay games too. It can take a pounding.... No need to baby it.
Still a tough question. The answer, for me, depends on a few things.
My health, of course, or even the state of apocalypse we are in at the time.
Do I keep one fine shotgun, or a carbine with a plastic stock that holds a lot ammo.
Might be a bolt action .22 rf rifle, or even a 22 caliber revolver.
I honestly can't say.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2022, 01:08 PM   #46
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

When I was just a kid my dad bought me a Stevens 20 gauge, single barrel shotgun. That little shotgun is still at my dad's (he will soon turn 87). It still functions fine, but it sure looks like it has been put thru the wringer. There is no telling the number of squirrels, rabbits, quail, skunks, and other critters that gun has disposed of. I think the last time he shot the gun he was ridding himself of a skunk that was digging in his lawn during the night. He lives on a golf course which adjoins a farm that I hunted quail on for a good number of years. The Stevens has never failed to fire or eject a hull that I know of. The lever that breaks it open is not functioning properly. You have to know the secret to get it to break open. The stock has no finish on it. The case colors and barrel finish have held up well. The cheapest gun I have ever owned is probably the best one I have ever owned.
Unread 06-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Does that Stevens 20 have the side opening lever like my first Stevens 20 did?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #48
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Once upon a time I owned a H & H Royal Paradox 12 b- it slipped away
Now a couple of Fox XE's and several Parker's
I have arrived at the SXS party later in life but
still feeling young!
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McKee For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #49
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Does that Stevens 20 have the side opening lever like my first Stevens 20 did?

Top lever Dean.
Unread 06-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #50
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
When I was just a kid my dad bought me a Stevens 20 gauge, single barrel shotgun. That little shotgun is still at my dad's (he will soon turn 87). It still functions fine, but it sure looks like it has been put thru the wringer. There is no telling the number of squirrels, rabbits, quail, skunks, and other critters that gun has disposed of. I think the last time he shot the gun he was ridding himself of a skunk that was digging in his lawn during the night. He lives on a golf course which adjoins a farm that I hunted quail on for a good number of years. The Stevens has never failed to fire or eject a hull that I know of. The lever that breaks it open is not functioning properly. You have to know the secret to get it to break open. The stock has no finish on it. The case colors and barrel finish have held up well. The cheapest gun I have ever owned is probably the best one I have ever owned.
As with any gun cherished for its personal history, I'll bet there's more good "secrets" held in that gun than just the trick to opening it. I'll bet it looks just fine standing next to some of those fine 20s you own, Reggie.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote