Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-21-2022, 06:59 PM   #11
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

I have 3 jugs of #4 Bismuth and 1 jug of # 2 I can part with. PM me if interested.

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:15 AM   #12
Zacharysmith
PGCA Member

Member Info

We need to get Boss shotshells on board with making some lighter pressure loads. I have asked them a few times over the years to consider it. Heard about a year ago that something was in the works but nothing since. I hear great things about their shells.
Zacharysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zacharysmith For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:41 AM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I’ve loaded bismuth in all gauges from 10 to 28 . I use the same load I use for lead in each gauge . And I load the standard weights 1 1/4 for the 10 , 1 1/8 for the 12 , ounce for the 16 , 7/8 for the 20 and 3/4 for the 28 . In the past I used to weigh each shot charge now I drop the 10-12 and 16 from the loader for the 20/28 it’s quicker to use a dipper and hand fill as coarse shot bridges terribly in the 20 and 28 drop tubes . Plus I rarely load more than a box or two of bismuth at a time .
Unread 06-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Beck View Post
If you can reload lead you might reload bismuth with minimal hassle. Suppose you bought a roll crimper and used this for your bismuth hunting loads, wouldnt have to change the reloader around (the fussy part anyway). Testing a few could corroborate the general assumption that roll crimps may lower pressure and bismuth will raise pressure to arrive at a happy medium. 20 ga no tox that is safe in old guns and with low pressure and velocity is a small market. Boss is also worth investigating.
Good points, I hadn't thot of a roll crimper, and had only recently heard of Boss. One of the subsequent posts on this thread indicates that Boss apparently doesn't load a vintage low pressure round. You're no doubt right that vintage low is a small market and probably the first thing dropped in these tough times; also the last to probably be resumed. Thanks for your help.

Mike
MIKE FISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:24 PM   #15
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wasn't aware of roll crimping reducing pressure, so that's intriguing, altho I'd have to add that new equipment to the inventory; don't roll crimp now. The smaller gauge inserts in the 20 ga is another angle I hadn't thot of, altho not sure how hard 28 ga bismuth is to find. Also, wasn't aware of Precision Reloading. AA's are straight walled, altho the base is tapered. Thanks for the ideas.
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #16
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK KIRCHER View Post
I have 3 jugs of #4 Bismuth and 1 jug of # 2 I can part with. PM me if interested.
Much appreciated Mark, but I'm only needing bismuth in the small shot sizes.
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #17
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I’ve loaded bismuth in all gauges from 10 to 28 . I use the same load I use for lead in each gauge . And I load the standard weights 1 1/4 for the 10 , 1 1/8 for the 12 , ounce for the 16 , 7/8 for the 20 and 3/4 for the 28 . In the past I used to weigh each shot charge now I drop the 10-12 and 16 from the loader for the 20/28 it’s quicker to use a dipper and hand fill as coarse shot bridges terribly in the 20 and 28 drop tubes . Plus I rarely load more than a box or two of bismuth at a time .
Appreciate the pointers, Craig - thanks!
Unread 06-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #18
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,132 Posts

I have reloaded light 12 gauge loads for years, but have never reloaded Bismuth, so I am barely qualified to advise anyone on this.
That said, if you are loading based on volume, and not weight, I would think the lighter Bismuth payload should automatically be a lower pressure load than an equivalent volume of lead, everything else being equal.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #19
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Probably the best thing to do if you come up with a load that in theory should be safe is just spend the $40 or whatever it is and have Precision Reloading test them. Like if you used that bismuth data thats in the 10k psi range ideally if they were rolled crimped and used a fiber wad the pressures theoretically should drop by a noticeable degree but having them tested would give you some concrete data. As well roll crimping depth can raise or lower pressures but no one ever lists what depth they roll crimp to.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 06-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #20
MIKE FISHER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Probably the best thing to do if you come up with a load that in theory should be safe is just spend the $40 or whatever it is and have Precision Reloading test them. Like if you used that bismuth data thats in the 10k psi range ideally if they were rolled crimped and used a fiber wad the pressures theoretically should drop by a noticeable degree but having them tested would give you some concrete data. As well roll crimping depth can raise or lower pressures but no one ever lists what depth they roll crimp to.
OK, helps to have a little idea of the price range and process. Never thot about the depth of the roll crimp making a difference; of course, I have not considered roll crimping before. Thx again.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKE FISHER For Your Post: