Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #21
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,177 Times in 631 Posts

It would be a great turkey gun. Didn't a PGCA member(s) petition and succeed in getting 8 gauges accepted in a state or two out west for turkey hunting? Maybe Arizona or New Mexico?

There also seems to be an 8 gauge shoot at a few of the major sxs events now. Plenty of opportunities to shoot them at both targets and certain species. I need to get on board and get one
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2022, 12:18 AM   #22
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

It took about two years working with AZ Game and Fish commission and a sign off by the Governor to allow the use of shotguns larger than the 10 gauge to be used for harvesting Game in AZ.
The ruling of course does not change the Federal restrictions on Migratory birds.
I have shot pigeons, and Eurasian dove as well as a coyote in AZ.
I Have shot Several Merriam's turkeys in New Mexico as well as an Osceola turkey in Florida using one of my 8 gauges.
I just can not seem to draw a Goulds turkey tag in AZ which was my primary goal when I set out to get approval for its use.
Maybe next year.
I currently own just one 8 gauge, a WC Scott. I had thoughts of taking an elk but I may have set that goal a little to late in life. Packing an 8 gauge around at 6 or 7000 feet can flat wear you out.
I do love the looks of those paper shells.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2022, 01:32 AM   #23
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
It took about two years working with AZ Game and Fish commission and a sign off by the Governor to allow the use of shotguns larger than the 10 gauge to be used for harvesting Game in AZ.
The ruling of course does not change the Federal restrictions on Migratory birds.
I Have shot Several Merriam's turkeys in New Mexico as well as an Osceola turkey in Florida using one of my 8 gauges.
I just can not seem to draw a Goulds turkey tag in AZ which was my primary goal when I set out to get approval for its use.
Maybe next year.
I currently own just one 8 gauge, a WC Scott. I had thoughts of taking an elk but I may have set that goal a little to late in life. Packing an 8 gauge around at 6 or 7000 feet can flat wear you out.

Toms load for a 2oz roundball at 1500 fps would probably work for elk if you have a cyl choked or rifled 8 gauge. You just need to find a 8 gauge in the 9lb-10lb range perfect for backpacking haha. Really the only state ruling we have when it comes to size limits for shotguns is small game has a 3.5" maximum case length for whatever reason.

Something I noticed about these paper hulls is they come already resized but it looks like whatever method they use they are actually removing the industrial ring from the brass not just swaging it down, gives the brass a bit more factory look I think. I should see if they can do different colors for the paper I think some blue paper 8 gauge hulls would be neat.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #24
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

I don't know if these hull use rem. 57 primers or not I have some shells just like them that are loaded I will see what primers they use....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

Milton and Charlie, the old Winchester paper shells I used back in the '60s, which I still have, use a separate brass base layer to fit the cannons. The Remington 57 primer fits these. However, when you peel off the base layer, a 209 fits. The separate base is pressed right into the primer hole. How about that.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

did not know this bill I have never had one of these early Winchester 8 ga industrial shells...I have some 4 ga industrial slugs I need to look and see what primer they use....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #27
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,530 Times in 3,403 Posts

I was given forty plus of the old WIN paper industrial shells loaded with Blue Dot and if my memory is correct 2 3/8 ounces shot . And yes I shot them all at skeet in my PH . They thumped you pretty well . I loaded them again and fired some at Sanford last year but got some poppers . I suppose they were on their last legs .
Unread 05-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #28
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,530 Times in 3,403 Posts

Quote:
Maybe next year.
I worked up punkin ball and slug loads in the hammer 8 I got from you . I got what I thought was “good enough” accuracy at 30 yards for deer . I would “think” for an elk you “might” be able to add ten yards to the equation . However having owned several W&C Scott’s , all the ones I had were stamped on the underside of each barrel “not for ball” . The 12 and 20 Scott’s I had no intention of shooting a ball or slug , however in the 10 I wanted to but never did . The inside muzzle diameter of my Scott 10 and a Parker 10 are usually 15-20 thousandths difference with the Scott being smaller .
Unread 05-02-2022, 09:29 PM   #29
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Maybe next year.
I am waiting on my first 8 gauge, and it may be what you are wanting.

It too is a W.C. Scott & Sons, but is a single shot. Carries the London address. It has one of the most beautiful sculpted actions I have seen. Built about 1872, and supposedly has resided in Boston for most of its life. It was with the same family for over 100 years before hitting the market. Barrel is 32", balanced on the hinge and weighs 9-3/4 pounds. Finish is overall excellent. It looks like a SBT on steroids.

After examining and measureing the barrels,I would be interested in a recipe for some ball cartridges. I am having cataract surgery tomorrow, and it should be here while recuperating. I will wait a bit before touching off a lightweight 8 bore, though.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #30
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Milton and Charlie, the old Winchester paper shells I used back in the '60s, which I still have, use a separate brass base layer to fit the cannons. The Remington 57 primer fits these. However, when you peel off the base layer, a 209 fits. The separate base is pressed right into the primer hole. How about that.
Due to the shotgun I just mentioned, I ordered and recieved 75 or so 8 gauge industrial hulls new and unprimed. Got them on GB for a little over $1 per hull. I already have 25 of the Parker Headstamped brass shells I got on sale.

The hulls on GB were Black Remington hulls. I had read a lot of posts about swaging these and all sorts of work to use them. I read this thread and took a couple to my shop. I chucked one up in my lathe 3 jaw chuck and took an easy cut off the outside of the rim. As soon as it separated, the head side and inner side separated and I pulled the two pieces off with my fingers. Easy as pie. There is apparently a small gap under the rim fold over, and the inner rim is not touched. Hiding underneath is a perfectly normal Black Remington 8 gauge hull. Just no headstamp. Apparently when they make them, they take a normal hull and swage crimp a thin brass cup over the complete head, then punch it through into the primer pocket. No mechanical attachment at all.
The primer is looser, but the new hulls would benefit from a primer pocket conditioner.I did 4 more to test, and they took about 30 seconds per hull.

I would like to try to put together some various test loads, but I only have the brass hulls and 7 gauge wads. I need to get some 8 guge wads for the plastic. I would like to get a few SP8 or Gualagies, but no one has any that I can find.

I suspect that you could roll the rim of the hulls against a beltsander and do a good job removing the outer shell, but the lathe is more precise and faster.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote