Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unstruck Barrel Weight question
Unread 06-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
Liftengineerdoc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Unstruck Barrel Weight question

Greetings!

I have a question on what, exactly, is meant by the term "Unstruck Barrel Weight". I've seen the term used frequently, but cannot find a concise definition of it. My Parker VH 12ga on No.2 frame has a lone 4 on the barrel flat.

Does this mean that if I took the barrels only, placed them on an accurate scale, that they should weigh 4 lb, 0 oz, assuming they've been unmolested since 1904 (IIRC) when the firearm was originally mfd? I doubt mine are in factory original condition, however, as the muzzle-end rib is fully zig-zagged to its end in front of the sight. The chokes gauge at I/M & Mod, not an uncommon pairing when the sky was the limit.

Also, what is the significance of the K f on the same flat?

I also have some older continental SxS with the same weight question, so this response may also kill several more birds 😁.

Thanks in advance!

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220414_194116.jpg (405.9 KB, 9 views)
Dale Soos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

This is the weight of the barrels prior to the final striking or filing, polishing etc. so your barrels weighed 4 lbs then and should weigh a few ounces less now.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

From my observations the Kf was the barrel steel mark for the steel Parker Bros. marked as "Vulcan Steel" on the rib legend, from their introduction up into the 13xxxx serial number range when we begin seeing the V in a circle. The guns marked "Titanic Steel" and a very few marked "Acme Steel" on the rib legends had a K in the barrel steel location on the right barrel flat.

131783 03 K in barrel Steel Location.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
Liftengineerdoc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Randy. British and other European proof houses stamp the barrel weights too, and I thought it would have been more exacting. They did it to ensure no material had been removed from the barrel interior - i.e. to open a choke or lengthen a chamber.

Maybe I am making too big a jump in logic here. Either way, I do appreciate the input greatly.

Cheers!

dws
Unread 06-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

There is no etched in stone or paper writing to substantiate my thoughts , but it’s been my experience to weigh uncut barrels with the forearm and USUALLY they’ll weigh within a couple ounces either way of the struck weight .
Unread 06-22-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
Liftengineerdoc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Researcher, thanks for that input! Nothing further on the flats, except the Pat'd date of April 11, 1878 and the "- 2" as shown in my other photo. S/n of this Parker is 113823, in line with your info provided (thank you).

A further question, if you can answer it, the "end" of the rear bottom lug has an 8 and a 3 on its face. Its below the lug bite. Is there any significance to this?

dws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220622_183939.jpg (307.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Dale Soos; 06-22-2022 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Added photo showing part in question
Unread 06-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Dale, the numbers 8 3 on the lug are what is left of the last three numbers of the serial number of the gun. This gun was made in 1902. At that time all three numbers were present on the lug, but in 1910 Parker Bros went to a different locking plate on the lug that had a vertical leg coming down with a pin through the side of the lug to hold it. At some point in time this gun was returned to the factory for some reason and Parker installed the 1910 style lock plate on the lug. When the lug was machined to except it the middle number was lost, leaving only the 8 and 3 visible.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Noble For Your Post: