Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Browning DA
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Default Browning DA

Browning Double Automatic

Does anybody know if the gun is capable of any adjustment to enable it to cycle more reliably with light loads? Like 1 oz 2 3/4dre loads?

Its an early steel frame gun.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Does it have any kind of steel ring on the front end of the recoil spring? Seems some of those early guns had a ring you could reverse or remove to make them cycle with light loads.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 901 Posts

Bruce,

Not that I know of. The spring in the Double Automatic is screwed down a certain amount to put the gun together, and nothing I saw in the instructions mentioned light loads or an adjustment that I am aware of. If someone does have those instructions, I would like them also.

I love A5s but the only Double Auto kicks like a mule, and my jaw cannot stand shooting it.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,345 Times in 923 Posts

Bruce- I have never owned a steel receiver DA, but I have owned and worked on several DA's that have Hiduminium receivers. The DA's is adjustable at the recoil spring, but I have never seen one that would not cycle any new factory shell, big or light after a thorough internal cleaning. These guns are very sensitive to being clean internally. Also, I have had some trouble getting my guns to cycle some reloads. If you do try and adjust the friction ring, do so carefully. The browning Auto 5 guys are comfortable turning that friction ring back and forth for different loads but keep in mind that these shotguns were put together by hand. They only come apart and go back together one way. Good luck.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'll see what I can do. Just wanted to reiterate that it is not an Automatic-5, it is the 2 shot Double Automatic. It does have a nut around the lower tube that holds the spring and appears that the nut could be rotated. I've never cleaned the gun, we've had it since new in the 1950's , and I have only cleaned the barrel and what I can reach in the receiver. It cycles well most of the time, but not reliably with light handloads ( yes I like light recoil shells) and will hang up on the infeed of the second shell. The first shot kicks out, and the second feeds partially and cocks in the feed leading into the chamber. A 3 dram load, no problem.
Unread 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,168 Times in 4,895 Posts

Bruce, ask your question on the Browning subforum of the shotgunworld.com forum. There also may be a "sticky" that gives some technical information about the DA.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,345 Times in 923 Posts

Bruce- It probably just need to be taken apart and cleaned internally. Yes, they can be adjusted but differently than an Auto 5. Taking on apart can be a little tricky if you have never done it, but not bad if you take your time. Doug Allen on the Shotgun World forum has posted a sticky on this. He also advises against adjusting for tension unless you have to. I adjusted on of mine once and ran into issues getting the forend back on correctly. I used it the first time I took one apart and all went well. Here is a link to it, Steve

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=53&t=107555
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for the help Steve. Will do.
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,168 Times in 4,895 Posts

I guess Bruce has me on his "ignore" list. I commend him for that.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, no you are not on my ignore list. Steve sent me disassembly instructions.

Thanks, folks. I'll see if I can tame this gun. I am an NRA shotgun instructor ( for the BSA) and I have it in mind to to get a Sporting Clays Level One qual. For that I need something more than a side by side double where I seem to have plateaued around 80 for a score in the registered shoots. I can be a little more precise with a single and I have a Superposed 20ga and the Double Auto. I don't want to buy another gun.