Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

I visited and old friend at lunch time today
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Former User
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default I visited and old friend at lunch time today

I have a dear old friend named Charlie.

Charlie in a retired vet that has a really good eye for dog flesh. The very best grouse gun dog I've hunted behind belonged to him.

Time has taken it's toll on Charlie and today he is too unsteady to carry a gun in the woods and hunt safely. But, in spirit he is still a grouse and woodcock hunter.

Anyway, around 1980, Charlie ordered a best London Sidelock from a maker named Peter Chapman. He carried it on many trips we made together to ND, IA, and Northern Minnesota.

As I write this I am thinking of a particular incident when we walked in on a point by his great setter Per just North of Ross, ND.

Per had a big covey of Hun's nailed and they flushed and sweeped around in hun like fashion. Charlie killed a bird and when he looked over at me I could just see the satisfaction in his expression. Like, "that is how it is supposed to work".

Well, he had to see my new pup. So today at lunch I visited he and his wife and their current setter "Gus" to introduce Lily.

The visit was great and when I left the house I had the Chapman in tow.

As we were packing stuff into my truck Charlie said once again that he just can no longer hunt but he'd like to see Lily working birds this coming Fall and would just like to walk along with a walking stick.

We will go, and hopefully if the stars align, he'll get to see me hunt and kill some birds over her points with his Chapman.

This thread that binds us grouse and woodcock hunters together is something really special.

Here is the Chapman.

20 bore built on a Holland & Holland assisted-opening action. 26" barrels choked .003/.007. Double triggers, ejectors. Stock is 14-1/2" x 1-3/8" x 2-3/8" with 3/8" cast off to a checkered butt. I weighed it on a shipping scale once and as I recall it is around 5-1/2 pounds. It balances just slightly forward of the hinge.

The maker Peter Chapman had worked for Purdey's and then broke off on his own with the financial backing of some US investors. This is gun #32.

The case colors and blue are thinning showing the signs of honest use.

It's a really elegant gun.

Jay (deleted) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jay (deleted) For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,990 Times in 4,809 Posts

I have often wondered whether any of the modern English Best Guns ever get hunted. You answered my question. After years of hunting with my worn Parkers, a short time ago I treated myself to a cased pair of near mint William Evans sidelock game guns, wondering if I would shoot and carry them. It just happens that they are getting a workout on sporting clays and the occasional preserve hunt. Like your friend, unforseen circumstances keep me away from "real birds", but those Evans guns are a rare treat after years of hunting with beaters. I hope you enjoy the great little Chapman.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Former User
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill:

I've seen this gun hunted in the rain, snow sleet and wind. It's been shot a lot and several years ago Jack Rowe installed a new locking bolt and put it back on face.

The patina of use is one of things that I like most about the gun.

Jay
Jay (deleted) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That looks like a sweet little gun that will harbor many memories for you over the years. I love that fine scroll engraving. What a beauty and with perfect dimensions.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

Jay, Thanks for sharing that great story. That is a gun and friendship to be cherished. Very nice!
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,572 Times in 12,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
This thread that binds us grouse and woodcock hunters together is something really special.

You can say that again Jay!

Thanks for sharing that great story and those pictures of his gun.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Jay what a treasure to have both the gun and your friend Charlie. I have heard of Peter Chapman and he definately produced a "best" gun. Your Chapman is very similiar to a Holland & Holland 20 I have. My gun also sports 26 inch barrels which are perfect for a Grouse gun and it weighs just 5lbs 12oz. The first time I took it Grouse hunting it poured rain all day and we never moved a bird.

I hope Charlie gets to take that walk with you.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,698 Times in 1,645 Posts

Jay, Charlie will be "walking with you" long after he has passed, every time you take that gun afield!
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

waiting to see see and hear how the the lthe little gun and charlie and the dog do on that hunt.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,506 Posts

Is'nt that what friendship and the upland life are all about? Lovely gun and heartwarming story. Thanks.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote