Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-25-2023, 02:18 PM   #11
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,226 Times in 837 Posts

David - by “all special order” I meant the engraving, lack of rib extensions. I will clarify the ad. No harm intended. It might have been more gentlemen like to ask me a question in private before assaulting my character.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2023, 06:55 PM   #12
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,131 Posts

I've not done business with Josh, but I have met him, been advised on gun sales questions by him, and have been overall just paying attention.
Josh L is for real, and a true resource to our community. Go to him with real questions, and receive real answers.
That's been my experience.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2023, 08:06 AM   #13
John Albano
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have done business with Josh on several occasions. He has a wealth of knowledge and it is always a pleasure to do business with him. Josh will always answer any questions I may have honestly and I can make my own decisions.
John Albano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Albano For Your Post:
Unread 03-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #14
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,539 Times in 3,105 Posts

That gun has been shown at Hausmann's several years ago, and owned by several members, at various times.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Interesting to note, that both fore end irons, which were extractor, were used in the conversions, but it appears they were done by two different men. I do remember when the gun was at the NE SxS, the fore end, whose hammers move fore and aft, was troublesome, But until just now looking at the pictures, don't remember the other fore end.
Unread 03-26-2023, 03:24 PM   #16
David C Porter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Of interest, the letter states gun was ordered & deliverd with 30" open choked barrel. In 1902 2nd 30" full choke barrel added. The GI listing claims 26" open choke barrel & 30" full choked barrel. Was the Parker book incorrect, or was the 30" open choked barrel cut down to 26"? In picture #18 the left barrel extractor looks like it was broken & welded up; excess weld. Also, forearm has 2 big cracks in the botton of the wood.
David C Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2023, 03:26 PM   #17
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,531 Times in 4,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Interesting to note, that both fore end irons, which were extractor, were used in the conversions, but it appears they were done by two different men. I do remember when the gun was at the NE SxS, the fore end, whose hammers move fore and aft, was troublesome, But until just now looking at the pictures, don't remember the other fore end.
Edgar,

I do recall seeing a gun very similar to this one. A C grade with floral engraving. But do not think it was this one. I recall it being in original condition and not having aftermarket ejectors. I think Larry Frey may have had it.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Edgar,

I do recall seeing a gun very similar to this one. A C grade with floral engraving. But do not think it was this one. I recall it being in original condition and not having aftermarket ejectors. I think Larry Frey may have had it.
You’re partly correct Brian, it was Larry, who had it at Haussmanns. I don’t specifically remember the condition, as much as the lack of rib extensions and aftermarket ejectors. His wife shot it with us on the lower course, and Larry said it was giving her trouble.
Unread 03-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #19
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Edgar and Brian are correct, I did own this gun for a short time but sold it on this site six years ago to another member. It was my belief that the first set of barrels were cut to 26'' possibly due to damage and a second 30'' set was ordered as per the letter. I seem to recall the barrel wedges were installed in the short barrels which could mean the work was done at the factory but it was not referenced in the letter so who knows. I have not seen the gun since the Turnbull restoration so if another member gets it hopefully, I will get to see it again someday.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 03-26-2023, 06:30 PM   #20
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have no doubt many would take exception to this, but if it were my gun, I’d do away with both fore end irons, and return the gun to its original state, as an extractor gun. I don’t feel that the after-market ejector system adds any value to the gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: