Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Cleo's first Bird
Unread 11-15-2022, 05:07 AM   #1
Zacharysmith
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Cleo's first Bird

This summer my family added another member. Cleo, a GSP, would be entering the uplands a few days before being 6 months of age. Lots of commands were learned, feathers and wings but no live birds. Fast forward three weeks into the season for the big annual trip and 100 wild bird encounters later. My old girl Bella knows the cover well as we have ventured to it for the last 4 years and her 10th season in the area. Being in grouse country and finding a woodcock cover has been exciting especially when the limit of grouse has been taken for the day. The cover is rather large, holding both species but mostly woodcock. My cousin and I had just spent a couple hours hunting most of the cover and it was getting later in the day. We had moved a fair amount of birds when I motioned the girls to a corner section I had done well in the past. Bella being the leader of the two moved ahead while Cleo lagged behind. This has been the story throughout the season. The veteran has taken the lead while the pup learns from behind. She had rounded the corner and was neither help nor hinderance at this point of the season. Backing Bella now 100 percent and not bumping birds. About 40 ft. in front of me she quickly turned 90 degrees and went on point after a few steps next to an old blowdown under a small spruce tree. I approached and got in front of her at about 4 ft the Woodcock that I could not see, burst out with surprise and with one not so easy trigger pull from my newly acquired PHE 20 the bird tumbled to the ground. I immediately yelled out yeahhh Cleo and she ran after her bird. Bella returned quickly at the report of the shotgun. I wanted Cleo to find the bird so I removed my vest and placed the leash I keep in it around Bella as she would not interfere in the recovery of the downed bird. By the time I looked up Cleo had the bird in the mouth. We make out way to each other. I was so happy to have the pup point, recover and retrieve her first bird. Lots and lots of praises were handed out by the two of us. My cousin quickly got a photo of us and a few minutes later I got him to take another as we would look in the woods. Tail feathers were kept along with the shot shell and were mounted when we arrived back home. For the trip, plenty of birds were found and taken. Grouse numbers were a bit lower than last year but the woodcock numbers improved. A few days limits of both birds were taken but rain dampened a couple days of the trip. The PHE 20 and my Fox AE 16 took turns going for walks in the woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1668500538464.jpg (535.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1668500538446.jpg (520.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1668500538417.jpg (579.1 KB, 6 views)
Zacharysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zacharysmith For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Congratulations. What a great feeling when a new pup puts it all together on wild birds. Wishing you many more years of making memories with her. Great pictures.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

That's special, Zachary, very special, and a day you'll like to remember in the future. I enjoyed reading your post!
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Great stuff Zachary!! The stuff memories are made of.

i remember Gracie's first point and retrieve at 5 months as if it were this morning!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

With all of the dogs I have had I can remember the exact location of each dog's first bird. And you will as well. A special time for both of you. Congrats!
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post: