Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Not exactly hunting , but !
Unread 01-14-2023, 11:18 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Default Not exactly hunting , but !

Was at Christmas Hill Preserve close to Scottsville VA today for a tower shoot . Carried along the Grade 2 top lever 3 frame 32” 10 gauge that I purchased in June at Hausemanns . Gun was restocked in pretty much trap dimensions and went to Belgium to have a second set of fluid steel 3 1/2” chamber barrels that later had Briley screw ins installed . This gun and I are getting along very well Kept the breasts on the cartilage this time , my plan is to smoke these .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02704E9A-D2CC-4B4C-9A67-0C2B35ED0480.jpg (530.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 7C974898-7A3E-4BD5-9C01-46F63746D180.jpg (511.4 KB, 2 views)
Unread 01-15-2023, 08:12 AM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

You know what the say: Smoke 'em if you got 'em. You definitely got 'em. Well done young man!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Craig, I like to fillet the breasts when I smoke them. The fillets take up the brine more evenly--I brine mine in the refrig. with equal amounts of sugar and salt. After 24 hours in the brine, I dredge the breasts in a mix of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices you like. I go really heavy on the brown sugar, makes em taste great, but the melting sugar makes a real mess in the smoker. When done, i slice the breasts into strips for snacking. I vacum seal them, then freeze em. They are great with cheese, crackers, and your favorite beer, wine, etc. I ran a batch New Years Day.
Unread 01-15-2023, 12:39 PM   #4
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,628 Posts

Harold, sounds like a good project for the Traeger.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-15-2023, 05:27 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

some bodys gona eat good.....Charlie.....
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2023, 06:51 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Might be one more tower shoot for me this season in WVA . If so I’m gonna take that 10 gauge hammer gun again .
Unread 01-15-2023, 07:03 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

I keep track of my shots hunting in a given year. Reading of your exploits, I wonder how many shots you take in a year. I can't even imagine.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Mike, I usually have platters of smoked grouse, pheasant , and wild turkey at Ernies in June. Stop by the "campground".
Unread 01-15-2023, 08:48 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I keep track of my shots hunting in a given year. Reading of your exploits, I wonder how many shots you take in a year. I can't even imagine.
Yesterday I shot exactly fifty times . The first two shoots at Prospect Hall almost 70 each time , the two December shoots at Prospect Hall were 50-60 each . The two shoots at First Mine Run were 25-30 each . The quail box birds a week ago were 40 shots . So that’s 340-375 I guess . Have a quail hunt planned Tuesday at Rasawek that’ll be 8-25 shots if history repeats and if I do the January shoot at Prospect Hall I anticipate 40ish . What might be of intrest I’ve used 8 gauge , 10 gauge , 12 gauge , 16 gauge and 20 gauge . If I’d not liquidated the 28 I had I’d carry that Tuesday . I keep tabs of shots and hits most of the time but I always know how many shells were expended . Only shot the 8 gauge at the first peg at both of the early Prospect Hall shoots and used the 12 at the October shoot for the rest and this hammer 10 at the November shoot after the first peg . Used a hammerless 10 also at Prospect Hall and the 12 trap in late December . Used the VH 20-32 and a VHE 20-26 at the December First Mine Run , then last week I at First Mine Run I used a DH 16 32” 2 frame and a VHE 16-26 skeet . For the quail boxbirds I used the VHE trap with 1 1/4 pigeon loads . Tuesday I plan to carry the VHE 16 skeet again . If my cousin invites me on a rabbit chase I think I’ll carry the VHE 20-26 or possibly a circa 67 Browning A-5 20 MAG with 26” IC vent rib barrel .
Unread 01-16-2023, 02:48 AM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Craig, I like to fillet the breasts when I smoke them. The fillets take up the brine more evenly--I brine mine in the refrig. with equal amounts of sugar and salt. After 24 hours in the brine, I dredge the breasts in a mix of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices you like. I go really heavy on the brown sugar, makes em taste great, but the melting sugar makes a real mess in the smoker. When done, i slice the breasts into strips for snacking. I vacum seal them, then freeze em. They are great with cheese, crackers, and your favorite beer, wine, etc. I ran a batch New Years Day.
Generally I fillet the breast off the cartilage while it’s still attached to the bird be it pheasant or partridge . But my friend with the smoker likes them to still have the bone so to speak . Another friend I gave a couple bags of breast fillets he smoked them as you say and liked them . Told me something about a screen thing I suppose like you’d use to toast bread over a campfire .