Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 01-19-2023, 03:33 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

that's a fine looking load....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2023, 04:56 PM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Thanks Charlie, I personally think the felt looks much nicer in the clear hulls but will also be a better quality wad. Though this particular felt is not cheap so I could see using the fiber wads for load development or for the range and save the felt for hunting loads.

I may end up developing my own 8 ga loading manual haha it'll be all bluedot loads though.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2023, 07:29 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I also like the bluedot loads...charlie
Unread 01-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #14
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,011 Times in 396 Posts

Milt

I have thought about this before and one solution would be to use a thick and a thin overshot, so to speak. Design whatever you want and print it out on card stock thin enough to run through a color Laser printer and a business card or proper size label template. Then design whatever you want, even graphics, and print a sheet of 5o or so, at a time. When ready to use them simply punch themout and place over the thick overshot wad. If you can find blank peel and stick labels, uou could apply them after loading; just use a 12 ga punch for the stickers. That way you could use logos, graphics or whatever.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2023, 03:44 PM   #15
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,677 Times in 2,634 Posts

Milt, I ordered 3 of the punches as they are cheap enough and figured I'd get more than one because "stuff" happens. Took maybe 3-4 weeks for them to arrive from the UK which is better than the estimated delivery of early March. All I need is material to punch and I'll be set to do roll crimping with punched wads or fold crimping with plastic wads. Thanks for all the info you provided.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #16
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

I am using this specific felt for my loads as it came highly recommended from some waterfowl hunters.
http://www.durofelt.com/image_75.html

Though I would probably order some thinner rolls as well depending on what load you decide to roll so you can try different combos to get your perfect wad column height. For me using the Winchester hulls and Bluedot three 1/4" wads and a 1/8" nitro card gives me the exact height for roll crimping 2 1/4oz loads.

With felt or fiber wads and roll crimping you can make all sorts of adjustments to how you load. I was just thinking how I could probably make a cold weather specific load but It doesnt really get all that cold down here.

I came up with a idea for a die to remake the skirted gas seals Winchester used in their 8 ga shells but I dont really see a need for them.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

those plastic gas seals that come in the Winchester industrial 8 ga loads really work well in black powder and triple 777 loads...I only use one over the powder then put my bb s or lead over it and a paper over shot card....at 45 steps a turkey will dream no more.....these 3 ounce loads are working out good...them shells your loading milt look plumb factory.....charlie
Unread 02-14-2023, 08:49 PM   #18
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

I haven't reloaded in years and never 8 ga. anyway, but I am wondering if none of the standard diameter leather punches available through Tandy, Weaver, etc. would not be very close to ideal for punching out both wads and overshot/overpowder card wads?? The better grade tools (e.g. Osbourne) are a little pricey but are very heavy duty, razor sharp, and last forever with proper care and sharpening. Closely matching the casing diameter would be the key. Plus no shipping from the UK, Canada or China.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote