Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

1st year Double D's
Unread 11-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 1st year Double D's

Drahthaars and D Grade Lifting.
Been some time since I posted here on the PGCA forum.
About 10 years to be exact. During that time I had to put my Springer Spaniel, "Benny" down last summer due to old age. A tuff day.....to say the least... and for us dog owners I dont need to go into details about a hunter and their bond with their gun dog. A good many pheasants over the years flew into the big grassy field in the sky due to Benny and my trusty VHE.
There is a new chapter now. I have a new hunting buddy "Baron", a Deutsch Drahthaar and a sweet D Grade lifter. This year is Barons first hunting season and we have already filled the fridge with pheasants. Again, this morning we hit the fields but, this time I opened the soft cover and slid out the new to me D Grade Lifter. Excitement raced through my veins as I loaded 2.5 inch, #6 shot Spreader loads into the 12 Ga. chambers and off we went. Headed into the very fields were Benny and I once hunted. This time, Baron leading the way. A rookie who already has proven himself. The bell around his neck ringing in the crisp morning air as he makes his criss cross patterns in front of me. Turning once and awhile to look and to make sure he stays within range. His breath already forming ice crystals on his beard. There is a thin white frost covering the brush and long grass in the fields this morning. Almost making it look like snow. Small birds fluttering from twig to twig. The leaves and grass make a crunching sound with every step I take. While enjoying the walk and taking in my surroundings I suddenly see Baron's tail begin to wag furiously and his body takes on that low profile as he circles and works to pinpoint the location of our game. With much determination Baron locks up on point, waiting patiently as I get into position and ever so slowly and gently cock back the right side hammer till I hear that "clicking" sound locking it into place. With my heart pounding and Barons anticipation, I give the command, "Flush it". As he charges forward a pheasant hen busts out of the brush at an alarming rate of speed. I shoulder my Lifter and for the first time during a hunt looking down this set of damascus barrels, steadying the bead just under the hen and squeezing the front trigger. The right barrel from the D Grade barks with a slight nudge against my shoulder. I see a puff of feathers and the pheasant's flight is cut short as it crumples and crashes to the ground. The slight smell of burnt gun powder hovers in the air as Baron proudly returns with our trophy and sets it down in front of me. I pat him on the head and give him a, "That a boy". I gently pick up our harvested game and place it in the back pouch of my hunting vest and off we go. One more hen pheasant will fall this morning to this ritual and the "Double Ds".
Walking back to the truck after Baron and I's hunt. My hunting vest is slightly weighted down. The Parker broken open and resting on my shoulder. The spent "hulls" jiggling in my pocket. As I walk past the pond to my right I notice a slight mist rising out of the water. A squirrel on the side collecting nuts. The sun is slightly higher now burning off the morning frost. I take a moment to reflect, not only on todays hunt but on my past hunts. The friends and relatives which I shared these events with. Some are no longer here. The good hunts and the bad. As we age hunting buddies will come and go. It's just a cycle we all must go through. I am walking up the final hillside before the dirt parking lot, Baron at my side trying to smell the pheasants through my vest. I am cradling and admiring my new Parker As I take another deep breath of the cool morning air, I wonder who else has carried this shotgun into the fields the last 148 years and what stories could it tell? I have just given it one more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221124-081403_Gallery.jpg (488.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20221126_103618.jpg (532.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210908-160815_Gallery.jpg (190.5 KB, 4 views)
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 11-26-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,245 Times in 616 Posts

Very great read and beautiful pictures William,
Your tribute to Benny is awesome, reminds me that Brittany is soon to be 10, and I fear that last hunt is only a few years away.
Please write some more,
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

William, sorry about the loss of your Benny, but glad to see you have a new chapter in your life. It's also nice to read someone's words that notices all of the "little" things that make a hunt. You'll be glad you wrote it all down.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

A very touching memorial.

The Lifter pictured isn’t a D grade but is at least a B.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hello Dean, looks like I am going to have to change the title of my hunting story. I am glad you chimed in. I had the privilege of meeting you up at Major Waldrons several years back for a Parker New Years Day shoot. I was told it was a D grade. I will have to post some close up pictures. Maybe this will help and I can have alittle better understanding of what I have here. I had been in the search for a lifter for some time now.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2022, 05:36 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I remember meeting you there Bill.

I would highly recommend you order a research letter on your lifter.
Some of these high grade guns have very interesting provenance - possibly ordered by a famous person. A letter will support the exact grade and depending on the year made may identify it as a “dollar quality” rarher than a grade letter or number.

Unread 11-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #7
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just so happens I have a letter. Unfortunately the records do not indicate grade. Serial number lists as a manufacture date of 1874 but letter says it was ordered 1877 ? Also, would the price indicate an $80 dollar grade ? I would be interested in anyone's opinion. Please do not hesitate to jump in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221127_070450.jpg (507.0 KB, 27 views)
Unread 11-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #8
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Enclosing several pictures I took this morning to help identify the grade. Opinions and facts are much appreciated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2022, 03:21 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

great hunt with a nice lifterand a great hunting pal....sorry about your friend and companion....great memories.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

3231 is certainly not a $75.00 quality gun. The level of frame and bolster sculpting, the level of engraving and checkering are certainly that of the equivalent of the B or even the A grade. We would like to see a clear picture of the stampings on the barrel flats in order to possibly make a better determination.

Often the sell price of the gun reflects a deep discount given by Parker Bros. The fact that the buyer was a resident of Meriden might even support the discount theory as Mr. Hill may have been known to members of the Parker Family or he may have been someone the Parkers had done business with.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: