Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Thinking about making an offer on a 28 gauge, but.......
Unread 02-17-2024, 10:35 PM   #1
Michael Pescatore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thinking about making an offer on a 28 gauge, but.......

Greetings,
My name is Mike and I'm located in Tucson, AZ. I signed up this morning, so I'm a brand new to this site and to Parkers in general. I'm usually found on the Shotgun World Winchester forum, reading and posting about model 12s, 21s and 42s, but someone I know has a 28 gauge Parker and he's thinking of letting it go.
I know very little about Parkers, never having owned one, but I've read that the 28 gauge is somewhat rare. I've seen it twice, and I took a few pictures of it. It appears to be in very nice shape, having been restored at some point.
It is an O frame with 28 inch barrels. My bore gauge read .548 on both barrels and they are like mirrors. The left choke came in at 19 thou and the right at 11 or so. LOP is 14" from the front trigger and 13 and change from the rear, with a widow's peak dog's head plate and grip cap. I did not measure the chamber length. The serial number is 106284. It points beautifully, w/double triggers and I'd guesstimate the weight at 6 pounds or so.
I'm thinking I might make an offer on the gun, but I'm more than slightly out of my depth here. The trigger plate screws look slightly buggered. I'm not sure if the barrel has been trimmed/cut, and I don't know if the blued top lever and safety should be case colored instead.
I've seen some sales at auction houses on line for similar Parkers for anywhere between 8 to 13 K. The owner hasn't come up with a price as of yet. So I thought I'd post some pictures of it here to get an better idea of what I'm looking at. Any guidance or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Tucson, AZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0106.jpg (485.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0108.jpg (385.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0113.jpg (416.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0112.jpg (456.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0107.jpg (440.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0124.jpg (505.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0109.jpg (494.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0116.jpg (500.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0129.jpg (499.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0130.jpg (500.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0111.jpg (483.1 KB, 83 views)
Michael Pescatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2024, 10:59 PM   #2
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

I don't think the quality of work is very good. It might make a decent shooter but it’s far from a collector. I would not venture a guess on value. Others might have different opinions.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2024, 11:31 PM   #3
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,061 Times in 283 Posts

Checkering is recut not the greatest, borders aren't correct. Looks like a toe repair. Barrels look to be cut. I'd rather have the 3 barrel reproduction 28 that's for sale in the listing here this morning. Money better spent. Don't throw good money after bad! I speak from personal experience Mike.

Chris, AZ
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 05:45 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

The gun suffered a very unskilled refinish (not a restoration) and a just as unskilled reassembly. No refinishing of this gun added to its value and surely diminished any value it had. The fact that it is a 28 gauge doesn't mean that it is more valuable than an original condition 12, 16, or 20 gauge. No one on this site would recommend that purchasing this gun would be a wise move for your collection. Of course, there is always a price point below which a gun like this would be an OK purchase. What is that price point?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 07:51 AM   #5
Michael Pescatore
PGCA Member

Member Info

The owner hasn't specified an exact amount, but I'm thinking it might be somewhere between 9-10K.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Pescatore For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 08:16 AM   #6
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

You haven't mentioned the frame size ,but at a little over or around 6Lb. and the early serial # for a 28 Gauge Parker , I would assume it is an O Frame 28 Gauge ,much less desirable in most folks opinion than a OO Framed 28 Gauge , that is with Grade and condition the same ! As everyone has said more of a refresh than a restoration ! So far no one has said about the bottom trigger plate sticking down on the one side so badly and not even close to fitting , Bill mentioned not reassembled very well after the refresh ,probably what he is referring to ,but since the gun has been recase colored and with that poor fitting trigger plate ,I would be very concerned about the frame possibly being warped ? All that said it is a 28 Gauge and has desirability , Just my opinion but if you are looking for a 28 Gauge and you decide on this particular gun ,I wouldn't get in too deep ! I wouldn't be too surprised on a Gun Broker auction it may bring close to 8 Grand if you weren't real familiar with Parker guns fit and finish but I wouldn't think any where near 10 Grand ! Of course again ,Just my Opinion ! Good Luck with it should you decide to purchase the gun !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 08:20 AM   #7
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pescatore View Post
The owner hasn't specified an exact amount, but I'm thinking it might be somewhere between 9-10K.
Mile RUN don't walk away from this gun. Thanks for posting what you believe he is asking, but that price range is crazy. Since you are more familiar with Winchesters let's say you see a 1876 with a cut off barrel, wood poorly checkered, horribly refinished, repaired , how much would it affect value?
Don't forget you don't know the wall thickness of the barrels.
Save your money.
A old whore with poorly applied makeup and a patched up dress.
I live in Tucson. PM me with your telephone number if you want to chat.
Phil
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 08:39 AM   #8
Michael Pescatore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well, it looks like those who weighed in here on this just saved me from taking a serious bath on this. My sincere thanks to all who pulled me back from the brink.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michael Pescatore For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 09:20 AM   #9
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,061 Times in 283 Posts

Mike, take Phil up on his offer, Ive known him for years. Theres not a better guy to get to know and get advice from! He has always gone out of his way to help me buy a good gun. As I mentioned earlier, there's a nice Reproduction 28 3 barrel set listed in the "for sale" section. It's alot more bang for the buck! I bought a Reproduction 28 from a friend a few years ago, and I couldn't be happier! It shoots great, it's new, it's very tight, and it's DHE, a few grades above what you're looking at. Yeah, it's not an early Parker, but it's a Parker. While the original Parker may be more desirable, the Reproduction is more affordable if you're in the income bracket that I am. I would definitely contact Phil, he'll point you in the right direction.

Chris, AZ
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2024, 11:14 AM   #10
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Mike, get a 28 ga Reproduction. You won't be disappointed. Walk away from this Parker. It's not worth it.
allen newell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post: