Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

When to restore? Need opinions.
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default When to restore? Need opinions.

I have two old Parkers I'm thinking about having retored.

Original stocks. Worn checkering. No finish. Never have been refinished. Nice fit.

Engraving good but a little smooth in areas.

No case color visible.

Barrels show less then 30% damascus.

Solid and shootable as is. High grade guns. One gun special order per Research Letter.

Does it make sense to restore a gun when it has no original finish or do you just leave it as an old worn gun? Does it have more collector value as worn gun or restored gun when dealing with high grade guns?

I'm new to the forum. Have never thought about restoring a gun before because it is usually such a no-no. Would like anyone's opinion who might like to share it with me. If you'd like to keep your opinion private, my email is rmmfl@aol.com.

Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ray, You need to get in touch with our registrar and re-register in you full name. There many here who can give you great information on your question. Re-register and post pictures. David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,183 Times in 829 Posts

Hi Ray..

As David mentions - on this forum we use our real names (as it states multiple times during the pre-registration and registration process ). If you PM me or post your last name - I'll get your account set, OK??

As well - welcome to the Forum - and as David also mentions - please post pics!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

David and John

So sorry. I wasn't paying attention. On other Forums I'm in it is fashionable to have a catchy name. I did not follow the instructions!!!!!

Hopefully John has rec'd my PM so that my account can be corrected.

Raymond Michael Masciarella II (with a name that long you now know whay I prefer "Ray")
Unread 11-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,183 Times in 829 Posts

Hi Ray!

I just got your PM - and you are all set! I will also tell you that your note put a slight grin on my old face, as I too - sometimes forget to read the instructions.. HEH!! Anyway - you are all set, Sir - and with my thanks! Just remember - your new login name is:

Ray Masciarella

If you have any difficulties at all posting pictures or logging on - please let me know, OK? In the meantime.....

Welcome!!!!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Ray and Welcome: You say your guns are "high grade". It would help to know which grade and also the serial numbers. Have you obtained a factory letter on them yet? Are they tight and on face? Are the bores without pitting? It is my opinion that if they are only worn of finish from use and the wood is sound but with handling marks, I would not have them refinished. If they need the mechanics looked at I would have that done only by a competent Parker smith. In my humble opinion cosmetic restoration of a high grade Parker will not enhance the value or the utility........George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you George!

They are AH's circa 1890's. Are tight and on face. One with pitted bores. Nothing that can't be fixed. I do have letters. I would not just do cosmetics but rather a complete, professional restoration vs. a mere "refinish", ie the whole 9 yards.

Ray
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ray: You have some very nice & valuable Parkers. If the one with pitted bores has sufficient wall thickness you would want to get that one professionally honed. Otherwise I would get some expert opinions from knowledgeable Parker people before doing a "restoration". I the collector's arena originality is everything and a restored gun is still a restored gun.

Just My Humble Opinion.....George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks George. What is your "expert" opinion. A gun with no finish is always a gun with no finish, and a restored gun is always a restored gun. Thus, the two evils so to speak.
I see restored guns selling for quite a bit money? Sure takes a few bucks to do it correct.
Sounds like your advice is to leave well enough alone?
Unread 11-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

You did not indicate where you lived, but with significant guns a person should not act quickly. My suggestion is to bring them to a PGCA gathering place, such as the Southern in April or the annual meeting in September. Lots of nice guns have been harmed by bad case color jobs, machine buffed barrel refinishes, varnished stocks and repointed checkering done with contemporary angles. On pitted barrels for example, lots of times pits can mostly be polished out without rehoning. Rehoning cuts away metal and reduces barrel wall thickness, usually by 006 or so. The pits are usually only cosmetic and newly shiny bores always raise concerns for me.

I'd leave it alone until people who know Parkers got to look at it and you got a variety of opinions.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote