Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

can shooting
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default can shooting

was out doing a little spot shooting this afternoon...the distance was 70 steps the target a 12 ounce aluminun can a dr pepper can to be exact...gun used american arms hamerless double.32 inch barrels choke modified both barrels..shells used were winchester and remington...no 4 no 5 no 6 size shot used... the gun has 3 1/2 inch chambers... first shell fired was a 3 inch rem. premier hevi shot 1 5/8 ounce of 4 s..4 hits in the can.... next waswinchester super xturkey load 2 3/4 inch 1 1/2 ouncelead no 5 s only 1 shot in the can...next was winchestor xx copper plated no 4 shot only 1 shot in the can..next a winchester supreme elite extended range 3 inch 1 3/4 ounce no 6 shot lead 4 hits in can... next waswinchester supreme turkey load 3 1/2 inch 2 ounce load of no 5 shot lead.4 hits in can.. all the shells fired were shot 3 times each so this was the average hits per shell used... my conclusion isthat the top grade shells used would patern better by far better than the cheaper loads...so if you dont load your own shells and your buying them at the store it would be better in my book to buy them high grade shells for they will pattern far better at long ranges... some of you fellas step off 70 long steps and see how many shot your favorite turkey gun will put in a soft drink can of 12 ounce size and see the difference thebetter grade shells do at this distance....no i aint gonna be shooting turkeys at this range...... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

shot the ten ga s today this is the out come...first gun used 10 ga ithaca mag 10 auto shells used winchester xx no 4 lead shot hits in can 3..... next gun used lc smith 10 ga double 32 inch barrels choke full- full remington express 2 7/8 lenth 1 5/8 ounce lead no 4...hits in can 1 these were shells of 1970 s vintage...same lc smith gun used but used ga mates in 12 ga....shell used remingtonnitro express 1 7/8 ounce of no5 shot lead..hits were 4 in can.... next gun used parker double ph grade 10 ga 32 inch full -full...shells used remington nitro express 1 5/8 ounce no 4 lead..2 hits in can... used same gun parker with ga mates..shell used remingtonexpress 3 inch 1 7/8 ounce of lead..hits in can 5.... same gun parker 10 ga shell winchester extended range 12 ga 3 inch 1 3/4 ounce of hevi shot no6s..hits in can 2.... the range was the same at 70 steps same 12 ounce drink cans... all the shells were shot 3 times each... all shells done ok except the old remington shells of 1970 s there is no plastic wadding in these old shells and you can see the difference the patterns were not as good as the modern shell.. out of all guns shot the old parker beat the ithaca auto and the lc smithwith 1 more hit than they on the average...the short ten ga loads still out kick the 12 ga 3 inch shell used and they had heavier load s than the 10 ga..can not figure that one out.... have decided to use the old parker as the gun of choice for turkeys this season and the old stevens will be back up gun in rainy weather ... will try some reloads in short ten and test them and report later... charlie
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,179 Posts

I've always been a fan of premium loads for waterfowl. Back when lead was legal I never fired anything at them except Winchester XX or Federal Premium if I had the money to buy it.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have noticed that it is not as much fun to shoot an aluminum can as it used to be shooting a real tin can. Dosen't have the same ring to them (oram I am going completely deaf).
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,567 Posts

Charlie - based on your sample size, you must drink a lot of Dr. Pepper
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yep i drink a few have one doc with a bag of pop corn every night... destrey your right the premium shells will pattern better thus more clean kills plus will add a few yards to kill zone... no the cans are not as much fun to shoot as when they were made of tin now a tin can is considered a antique and is worth to much to shoot full of holes...any way the lead shot in the can makes it weigh more thus will bring more money when you sale the aluminum cans..... charlie

Unread 02-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry, I grew up in a fishing village of subsistence living a couple harbours from where you gunned sea ducks from a tub at Petpeswick on our Eastern Shore.There was always enough food with birds and deer a big part of it. Kids got an orange at Christmas. No one thought of themselves as poor. But each house every fall ordered in a case of CIL "Imperial" shells, top grade above Maxum and Canuck. Where every shot counted, they knew the difference!
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

king your folks new a long time before i did about the quality and perfomance of the higher grade shells....one thing for sure if i have a big turkey out there at 40 yards i want those premium shells in my gun... i did a little more shooting at the 70 yard can yesterday with some low power shells lite field loads. they would not put a single pellet in the can at this distance but at 50 steps they would put several pellets in the can...these were 12 ga lite loads of several different makers .... all shot thru the same 10 ga parker with chamber mates....shot some of the 3 1/2 inch and 3 inch thru the same gun with no 5 and 6 shot and would put 4 to 5 shot in can at 70 steps these were 12 ga shells... charlie