Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New To Forum, New To Parker Guns! I have a question
Unread 02-09-2023, 12:03 AM   #1
Daniel_Chimenti
Forum Associate

Member Info

Talking New To Forum, New To Parker Guns! I have a question

Good evening all,
I inherited a Parker Brother's shotgun from my grandfather (it was his dad's).
I know it is a Damascus Steel, and from looking up the serial # it appears to have been manufactured in 1905.
I would like to shoot it, but I don't want to damage it. Are there any modern shotgun shell brands/types that are safe for it?
I am including some photos for reference.

Best,
Daniel Chimenti
Daniel Chimenti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Chimenti For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2023, 12:58 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Welcome Daniel! No one can tell if your gun is safe over the internet. What you need to do is have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith. I would see if the California SxS society has an event near you. Looks like you have a DH grade with a straight stock which is desirable. Good luck and please join PGCA as there is a lot of information to learn here
Unread 02-09-2023, 01:48 AM   #3
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,393 Times in 682 Posts

Daniel:

Mills has provided you with good advise.

Also, there are factory records that exist on your gun, and you should obtain from the Parker Gun Collectors Association (PGCA) Research Chairman a research letter on your gun.

If you join the PGCA (annual dues is $40) you can purchase the research letter for $40 and avail yourself to all of the benefits of membership, which includes the quarterly journal, as well as access to the members-only sections of this forum.

Your gun is of a higher grade than most Parkers, appears to have been used but not abused, and if all checks out for safe use, should provide you with much enjoyment until you are ready to pass it on to another family member.
Unread 02-09-2023, 06:57 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

A straight grip DH. I love it.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-09-2023, 07:06 AM   #5
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,798 Times in 2,013 Posts

Very nice Daniel! Looks to be a Grade 3 or D grade on a 1 1/2 frame. The damascus pattern on the barrels still looks good. I like the straight grip. How long are the barrels, they look to be 30". I have a grade 3 16 ga from 1905, but it has fluid steel barrels-you could still get them either way then.
How do the inside of the barrels look, are they pitted. As far as ammo, many of us including me shoot damascus barrels frequently . RST ammo made in Pa., is designed for these older guns, many of us load our own low pressure loads also. Have the gun checked out by a gunsmith that is knowledgeable on old doubles. I hope you get to shoot and enjoy it, a great old Parker.
Unread 02-09-2023, 08:06 AM   #6
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,067 Times in 468 Posts

Congratulations. Another lovely old Parker makes it’s way back into the light and the new caretaker finds their way to this group. And it’s been in your family for 4 generations. Very cool. I’m amazed at the reach and impact of these guns and this group.

Last edited by Dan Steingraber; 02-09-2023 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Dan Steingraber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,077 Posts

Congratulations on your Parker! You've already gotten sage advice from folks here, but I would indeed urge you to get a research letter on your gun if the records are available. Since it was in your family, and, I assume in California for a while, you might find some interesting history about it, especially for the Parker enthusiast. There are some storied guns in the Parker-California connection.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2023, 11:15 PM   #8
Daniel_Chimenti
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Welcome Daniel! No one can tell if your gun is safe over the internet. What you need to do is have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith. I would see if the California SxS society has an event near you. Looks like you have a DH grade with a straight stock which is desirable. Good luck and please join PGCA as there is a lot of information to learn here
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.
Unread 02-09-2023, 11:24 PM   #9
Daniel_Chimenti
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Very nice Daniel! Looks to be a Grade 3 or D grade on a 1 1/2 frame. The damascus pattern on the barrels still looks good. I like the straight grip. How long are the barrels, they look to be 30". I have a grade 3 16 ga from 1905, but it has fluid steel barrels-you could still get them either way then.
How do the inside of the barrels look, are they pitted. As far as ammo, many of us including me shoot damascus barrels frequently . RST ammo made in Pa., is designed for these older guns, many of us load our own low pressure loads also. Have the gun checked out by a gunsmith that is knowledgeable on old doubles. I hope you get to shoot and enjoy it, a great old Parker.
Thank you for the reply and information! Yes, 30" barrels. They do not appear to be pitted.
I will keep .RST ammo in mind, after I have the gun checked out by a qualified gunsmith. Thanks again for bringing that company to my attention.
Unread 02-12-2023, 08:49 AM   #10
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Damascus barreled guns are safe to shoot with some modern ammo. However, there may be issues that would make your gun a risky proposition. To be on the safe side take to someone who knows side by sides and it checked out. That’s a great gun btw. Was your great grandfather a doctor? Keep us posted on it.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!