Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

AI and Parker Brothers shotguns
Unread 05-23-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,461 Times in 969 Posts

Default AI and Parker Brothers shotguns

Be careful of going down a rabbit hole, but this is cool, and scary

I set up a free account at ChatGTP for giggles. I asked the following simple question:

What makes Parker Brothers shotguns so desirable?

The following is the answer it spit out:

Parker Brothers Shotguns, produced by the Parker Brothers company in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, are highly regarded and sought after by collectors and enthusiasts for several reasons:

Quality Craftsmanship: Parker shotguns were known for their exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail. Skilled gunsmiths handcrafted each shotgun, using high-quality materials and precise manufacturing techniques. The resulting firearms were known for their excellent fit, finish, and reliability.

Customization Options: Parker shotguns were often made to order, allowing customers to personalize various aspects of the firearm. This customization included selecting the type of wood for the stock, choosing the barrel length, specifying the choke, and adding intricate engraving or other embellishments. The ability to tailor the shotgun to individual preferences added to their desirability.

Aesthetic Appeal: Parker shotguns featured elegant designs and beautiful aesthetics. The company employed talented engravers who adorned the firearms with intricate scrollwork, game scenes, or other artistic elements. The combination of fine craftsmanship and visual appeal made Parker shotguns highly coveted.

Durability and Performance: Parker shotguns were renowned for their durability and reliable performance. They were built to withstand the rigors of regular use and were often favored by hunters and sportsmen. The shotguns were known for their smooth actions, precise lockup, and balanced handling, enhancing their desirability among those seeking a high-quality firearm.

Rarity and Historical Significance: As the Parker Brothers company ceased production in 1934, Parker shotguns are considered vintage firearms with a limited supply. Their rarity and historical significance contribute to their desirability, as collectors value the opportunity to own a piece of firearm history.

It's important to note that the desirability of Parker shotguns is often subjective and can vary among individuals. Collectors and enthusiasts may have their own preferences and reasons for considering Parker shotguns as highly desirable firearms.

Second question:

What is the difference between twist steel and damascus barrels on a parker brothers shotgun

The answer:

The difference between twist steel and Damascus barrels on Parker Brothers shotguns lies in the manufacturing process and appearance of the barrels:

Twist Steel Barrels: Twist steel barrels were made by twisting together two or more iron or steel rods of different compositions. This twisted metal rod was then forged into a barrel shape. The resulting pattern on the barrels had a distinctive swirling or twisted appearance. Twist steel barrels were often blued or browned to enhance their appearance and protect against corrosion.

Damascus Barrels: Damascus barrels, also known as laminated or Damascus twist barrels, were made by forge welding together multiple layers of iron and steel. The layers were folded and twisted during the welding process to create intricate patterns on the barrels. These patterns could be simple or highly complex, featuring various combinations of lines, waves, or swirls. Damascus barrels were typically finished with an etched or acid-stained surface to highlight the patterns.

In terms of performance and durability, there is no inherent difference between twist steel and Damascus barrels. Both types of barrels were widely used during the late 19th and early 20th centuries and were considered suitable for shooting.

It's worth noting that the manufacturing techniques for twist steel and Damascus barrels were phased out in the early 20th century due to advancements in steel production and concerns about their strength and safety. Modern firearms typically use different methods and materials for barrel construction to meet contemporary standards.

When evaluating a vintage Parker Brothers shotgun with twist steel or Damascus barrels, it is important to consider factors such as the shotgun's age, condition, and any potential restoration or repairs that may have been done over the years. Consulting with a knowledgeable gunsmith or expert in vintage firearms can provide further guidance and insight into the specific characteristics and value of a particular shotgun.
Unread 05-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

Disturbing
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Disturbing is not the right word. It answered this in seconds in a 200-300 word derivation of a formula, correctly I might add

Two students, S1 and S2, are rushing to class. They are waiting for green light at the same intersection. As soon as the light turns green, both students start walking with constant acceleration. The acceleration of student S1 is a1, and the acceleration of student S2 is a2, When student S1 has reached a velocity v1, she has walked a distance D1, while student S2 has walked a distance D2 = 1/3D1.

In terms of v1 and D1, what is the correct expression for a2, the acceleration of student S2?

Then I asked which models of Parker shotguns were most desirable. I've been buying wrong all this time : )
Unread 05-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Artificial intelligence is very concerning.
Unread 05-24-2023, 09:37 AM   #5
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

My take on AI is that once again mankind is venturing into uncharted territory. Who knows what the destination will be, but at this point it is unsettling due to the rapid changes for better or worse which could come from the technology.

I'm rather surprised at the overall accuracy of the Parker shotgun answer other than the ending date of production, apparently the Remington era wasn't something it picked up on. That might just be a search word issue between Parker Brothers and just Parker due to Remington dropping the brothers off the name.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
A.I.
Unread 05-26-2023, 10:00 PM   #6
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,554 Times in 380 Posts

Default A.I.

It is fascinating that a computer can answer those questions with what sounds like good information. But, if you think about it those answers are from the 10,000 foot level and only touch on the generalities of the topics. No real specifics were given. I think we're all amazed at how quickly and logically these answers come back about a topic that is so near and dear to our hearts, but they are really big picture answers. Now maybe that would change with the question or maybe the answer wouldn't be as satisfying if more detail was requested. The information will only get better and more specific as time goes on. The genie is definitely out of the bottle. But don't we kind of have the same thing when you Google something? Or when you get a Wikipedia response that you could cut and paste into an article that make it sound like you know what you're talking about? I remember when there were people that said the basic calculator was going to ruin the potential for people to learn and understand math. Okay; so they were right
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2023, 10:22 PM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is the beginning. And that is the free watered down version. Google will be replaced in my eyes for the most part. Why search when AI can answer it? Like you said it will get much better over time. The next big issue is whether robots can be sentient. That is scary.
Unread 05-26-2023, 11:55 PM   #8
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

AI can answer anything that has an answer that already that exists, but it can’t formulate hypotheses based on information. All of this reminds me of Wherner Vohn Brauns famous speech about Why men must go to space. Robots can be designed to react to many known and fewer anticipated situations, but man can correlate observations and fact. Since it’s recently been turkey season, I would challenge Ai to call in a turkey better than a 50 year veteran. Sometimes, the situations requires experience not gained through text based internet. My 2 cents as someone affiliated with the industry….
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 05-27-2023, 04:05 AM   #9
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

I just can’t believe some people think it’s a wonderful idea to build a machine that is a billion times smarter and faster than a human being and then hope it will treat us kindly. The next 5 years we are going to see changes that will make today look unrecognizable.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 05-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Ask it to explain women and see what it says