Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

What company is your favorite and why?
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default What company is your favorite and why?

Obviously we are all Parker Bros. fans but how do you rank the other American makers. I put Parker at the top and if I could explain why I like them the best it would not be number one. I put Lefever and L.C. Smith next tied and Fox under them then Ithaca. I know I am probably in trouble for putting Fox fourth but the reason for me to put them below Lefever and L.C. Smith is they only made 12, 16, and 20 gauge. No pattern welded barrels, unless I am wrong on this one. No hammer guns. If Fox would have made 1 10 gauge or 8 gauge I would put them in 2nd.
The things I can explain that I like about Parkers is the variations in mechanisms, the large number of frame sizes. The different kind of barrel materials, the recessed hinge pin, and I feel that the dolls head under plate is a true mark of craftsmanship.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eldon Goddard For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eldon: To many you are comparing a horse with a mule. Parker & Fox are both boxlocks while L.C. Smith is a sidelock. As far as simplicity of mechanism nothing will compare with a Fox. JMHO

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,641 Times in 4,629 Posts

I personally like to break things down in my mind in different types of categories.

I think Parker is at the top by way of overall quality and reliability across all grades of guns. I think Fox is top when it comes to simplicity of design and serviceability. And Fox's base grade gun had more options available to it.

For sideplate/sidelock guns, Smiths have a great bolting mechanism (like Fox guns) and their ejector designs are simple enough, but when it comes to an overall package taking look, feel and engineering into consideration, it is hard to beat a Lefever. In my opinion, Bakers are the bottom of the barrel. They have a simple design, but the fit and finish on the lower grade guns is lacking.

Ithaca's wide offering of doubles does not have any one that screams out at me in any of these categories, except for maybe the Flues. All the others have their own downfalls and some are just way more complicated than they need to be. Anyone ever taken apart an NID? They have more parts than a Parker!
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,576 Times in 3,114 Posts

I'd put Fox just below Parker. Early Lefevers are very classy guns. If my father left me an Elsie, I'd know I was adopted.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

I haven't actually owned a lefever or fox. Handled them both but I've always like the lc smiths. Buddy of mine has a field grade featherweight inherited from his great grandfather who was an Avid skeet shooter. The gun has many thousands of rounds through it and is in rough shape, but beat up as it is I'd always admired it. Very nice gun to carry. So When I found one I really liked I got it. I picked up a field featherweight 12 with 28"barrels that weighs only 6 pound 7 oz and it fits me really great and just feels right for me for an upland gun. Well balanced and I think an attractive, though simple gun.

Same guy also has a fox also inherited that he's using now because his smith needs work. I haven't examined it closely but it's pretty heavily engraved, not sure what model it is. Attractive gun but heavy and seems poorly balanced. Not a great gun to carry in the grouse woods.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

While this may not be in the intent of the original question, I will submit that Winchester is my favorite. Not because of the 21 but for all the other superb rifles and shotguns they made before and immediately after WW II. Their field grade guns were far superior to any other domestic manufacturer, and their special order high grade guns were second to none. Up through the 40s, their fit and finish was easily as good as Parker's. Different, but as good. I hope I did not ruffle any feathers.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Zachow For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

i honestly could not pick just one gun company thats my favorite...each company has good points.. i like them all from the parker to the lowly stevens..charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

Lefever for design and adjustability, Fox for simplicity, Parker for appearance and sex appeal, and as a best kept secret pre-war Prussian Sauers just because. Just my humble opinion.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lang For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I like A.H. Fox and I wouldn't mind owning the right Winchester 21 too. I'm surprised at the price the Winchesters command for such a plain gun.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,858 Times in 2,367 Posts

I love the Ansley H. Fox for its simplicity and sleek profile. For great engraving it is hard to beat high end Lefevers engraved by the Glahn family or the high grade Remingtons engraved by Joe Loy.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post: