Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,846 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kuzepski View Post
Hey Pete,

What are the rest of the components you are using? What pressueres are you getting from 19 grs of Red Dot? By the way, nice gun and a good buy!

Thanks,

Jack Kuzepski
Hi Jack, Federal Hull trimmed to 2 7/8", Fiocchi 616 (209) primer, 19gr of Red Dot, SP10 wad, 1/2" fiber wad, 1 1/8 ounce of shot, 6 point crimp.

19 grains of RD feels pretty tame in the 10ga. I don't know what it develops for pressure but you can find 19 to 20 gr loads of Red Dot pushing 1 1/8 ounce in Federal 12ga hulls with that primer at 8200psi. Pressure will be lower in a 10. I found with the Short Ten many readily available powders; Red Dot, Green Dot, 700-x work great but we have been left for the most part to use our head and come up with some loads of our own.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete,

That is what I was hoping you would say. I had been planning on using SR7625 but was wanting some options. It looks like I've found them now. My other components are the same as yours. I have a #3 frame Parker hammer gun and a early E grade Lefever both in 10 ga with pretty heavy barrels and 3" chambers.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kuzepski View Post
Pete,

That is what I was hoping you would say. I had been planning on using SR7625 but was wanting some options. It looks like I've found them now. My other components are the same as yours. I have a #3 frame Parker hammer gun and a early E grade Lefever both in 10 ga with pretty heavy barrels and 3" chambers.

Jack Kuzepski
22 grains of Green Dot works well too, uses a little less filler than 1/2". 7625 is a good powder, the 32gr load of it with same components with 1 1/8 ounce is really loud. People will ask you what are you shooting. 7625 is also expensive compared to the Dot powders but is still a good choice.
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jent P Mitchell III View Post
A lite load of 7625 can lead to detonation instead of the correct burning of the 7625.
Jent, what do you consider a (too) light load of SR7625 is in the 10ga?
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
A lite load of 7625 can lead to detonation instead of the correct burning of the 7625. I have seen 7625 bulge the barrel just in front of the chamber when the reloader/shooter was trying to achieve a low pressure reload using 7625. Do not try to go to low with 7625. Use enough or more then enough 7625 to achieve the correct burning rate of the powder.
Catastrophic gun failure due to the condition called detonation in a shotgun is very unlikely if not impossible. It is an easy fall back to blame an over pressure condition created by a barrel blockage or an overcharge from too much powder or the wrong powder (too fast).

In metallic cartridge loading it is thought the gap between a seated bullet and a small amount of powder can create the conditions for a detonation. This condition can't exist in a shot shell because wads are seated on the powder and the seating of the wad is insured by crimping the shell. If such a large space were to exist the shell could not be crimped properly and it will dish in. Shotgun shell detonation from too little powder is myth, there is no scientific testing that proves this can happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:

So do what you want to do but do not say that you were not warned.

Do not take just my word for all of this. Search the internet for stories of 7625. Ask around on other gun club websites. Safe Shooting To You All, Jent.......jentpmitchell@msn.com
Jent, detonation is at best a controversial phenom because the action of the load doing what you state in your post has never been observed in a scientific manner in a pistol, rifle or shotgun. Alliant when they were in business, had a pamphlet about using reduced loads in pistols, they addressed the issue of detonation, their result, Alliant could not create a detonation in their tests. The NRA commissioned H.P. White Lab to prove or disprove detonation could occur in a 38 special (because a lot of 38 specs were blowing up), they tried to do it and they could not make a detonation happen. What they did find is double and triple charges of fast powder were needed to damage the revolver in their tests. Their conclusion, reports of detonation were actually the result of an overload.

Detonation remains a theory, it has not be proven in spite of attempts to create it, since it has not been proven it remains a myth.

Damage to a gun is caused by overpressure (or material failure of the barrel/receiver). Overpressure can be created by a barrel obstruction, too much powder, or the wrong powder.

On your other points, yes I have now been warned about 7625, but you have been warned to not shoot nitro powder loads in composite barrels, if you ask around on many other websites and gun clubs you'll get the same advice, don't do it, yet you shoot damascus and twist barrel guns with nitro loads. So what are such warnings really worth?
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

I now see why Remington advertised their double guns, whether composite or fluid as "Guaranteed for Nitro Powder". Scott K. brought his tools with him to the trap range last night.

Bores are L - .790 with .045 of choke, R - .789 with .046 of choke, choke taper is about 4 1/2" long.

Barrel walls about 1 inch in front of forcing cone are .165 and about 8 inches from the muzzle they measure .100

Unread 06-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete, " bottom feeding " - it's not a term I'd use when describing buying a Remington 1894. As you noted latter you do like the Remington 94's. So do I, as I have a A, B, C, and F grade 94's. JB, as for 10ga guns, I have a Rem 1882, and a Parker lifter. I shoot Promo which is the same as Red Dot so I'll now give it a try in the 10 thanks to what you posted. I was shooting 700X. As you posted, it only makes sense that what can be used in a 12 can be loaded in a 10. Charlie, must be just your gun, because I've never noticed a problem with how tight the trigger screws are on my guns. Has anyone ever noticed how deep the chokes are on a Remington ? I have a short - 5" - adj inside mic and a cheap 18" long mic from Brownells. On the 10ga Rem I can't measure the choke because the short one won't go deep enough, and the long one isn't big enough - it only goes to .775. With the Parker 10 - it's over bored to .800 - so my long mic is useless in that also. Anyways, I have a couple of 10's that measure at least .030 choke - and more - just not sure how much more.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

boy that was a good price for such a quality gun..50 dollars want buy much of a gun now... i love those chokes... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Pete, " bottom feeding " - it's not a term I'd use when describing buying a Remington 1894. As you noted latter you do like the Remington 94's. So do I, as I have a A, B, C, and F grade 94's. JB, as for 10ga guns, I have a Rem 1882, and a Parker lifter. I shoot Promo which is the same as Red Dot so I'll now give it a try in the 10 thanks to what you posted. I was shooting 700X. As you posted, it only makes sense that what can be used in a 12 can be loaded in a 10. Charlie, must be just your gun, because I've never noticed a problem with how tight the trigger screws are on my guns. Has anyone ever noticed how deep the chokes are on a Remington ? I have a short - 5" - adj inside mic and a cheap 18" long mic from Brownells. On the 10ga Rem I can't measure the choke because the short one won't go deep enough, and the long one isn't big enough - it only goes to .775. With the Parker 10 - it's over bored to .800 - so my long mic is useless in that also. Anyways, I have a couple of 10's that measure at least .030 choke - and more - just not sure how much more.
Well given the price was below a solid Trojan 12ga it felt like I was in shallow water . I do like the Remington double guns, I think they are are the most overlooked and some of the best buys out there when it comes to classic doubles. This is my second Remington 1894 10ga, the other is a high condition B grade. The B grade has large bores too and .045 and .048 a choke with a 5 inch taper. I am guessing long taper and a lot of constriction is the norm for Remington doubles.

I did get an estimate on getting the forend fixed, gouges filled and rechecked. I think I will have it done and have the gun ready for the field come this fall.

I would like to find a straight grip F grade some day. They look like a very nice trap gun to shoot.

Promo is a good powder, a little dirtier than Red Dot and you have weigh what you are going to throw from one jug to the next, but the good price on it is worth the little inconvenience to me.