Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

reloads
Unread 10-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default reloads

just loaded up a box of 10 ga squirl loads...i used mister bells loading info...22 grains ofclays powder 1 ounce shot...this load was listed with about 7200 psi pressure...shot several of them up into tall trees they cut leaves off at long distances...recoil wasnot bad at all...the powder burned much cleaner than the blue dot loads ive been using...there was no off sounds in about thr ten rounds i shot...any body wanting a clean low pressure load this is a good one...first chance i get i will tell how it done on squirls... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, that is the same load I use. The pressure listed by Sherman is 5200 PSI at 1149 FPS. Very low pressure with fine performance makes for a load that is easy on the shooter and the gun, indeed! I have shot 33 of them with no inconsistencies. Are you roll crimping? I use a roll crimping tool from Precision Reloading @ 300 RPM (recommended) in my drill press. I applied a dab of paste wax to the groove in the tool to enhance the rolling operation. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've heard alot of good of the clays powder and the clay dot powder. I got bout 5 more pounds of 700x left and will be looking for a different powder. I am happy with the 700x but want to venture out into the lower recoil frame of reloading and seems even when I load a 17gr load of this stuff it still hits the same as a 18 or 19 grain load. I am loading 7/8 oz as I am also roll crimping with an old style hand roller. If the Clays is cleaner and less recoil then even better yet!!
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i did not roll crimp these shells.. i used themec junior and put 6 point crimp on them...they probably have a little more preassure than roll crimp...i do roll crimp a lot but i had the mec setting by handy so i used it...i really like the clays powder i usally load blue dot but for lite loads blue dot is notto good...if loading magnum loads its pressure is about the lowest around...i load a lot of the 8 gauge with it.. but if your looking for a good clean dependable burning powder for low preassure loads then clays will do it...i will pattern the loads tommorrow im sure they will be good... thanks for the setting me straight on the preesure..i think this will be come a good load to use in 10 ga... charlie
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, this was my very first shotshell handloading adventure! The Clays load impressed me by the lack of sooty deposits, consistency, and mild recoil. A perfect ruffed grouse load. I wonder how many 4-3/4 dram EQ loads my old Baker digested in its lifetime. A few, I bet, judging by the miserable condition of the wood at the head of the stock. My Baker is choked full and full and I was quite impressed with the deadly patterns at 40+ yards. My testing was informal by using small bullseye targets on a cardboard box. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie if you need that much gun for squirrels back there I darn sure ain't going to skin one of them. It would take 2 D-10 Cats to just pull the hide. Of course one bushytail is probably big enough to feed the whole town. Of course I don't suppose Humberg has told you that a lot of guys in Western Kansas refer a .458 Winchester as a Kansas Prairie Dog gun. Cheers! Lee.
lee r moege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

lee you dont want any thing smaller than a ten ga in my neck of the woods...i tote the 8 bore for those tough squirls and been hunting me a 4 bore for those tough old fox squirls...my ten ga aint enough gun for them....and believe me you need those 2 d 9 cats to skin some of them old bores..usally put them in the big pot and boil and simer them for around a week...but if you got false teeth or wanna keep what you got advise not to try to eat one... humberg did say something about the 458 being almost to small for them prarie dogs...he advised me to get a bigger rifle than the 458 where i mite get cleaner kills to many cripples with the 458...you know how dangerous it is trying to dig out one of those ghopers....i had some close calls with them prarie dogs.... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

justgot through patterning the bell 1 ounce loads..distance was 40 steps.. the target used 30 inch cardboard circle...gun used jp claybrough and sons 10 ga hammer gun...gun is improved cly both barrels...first targetwas shot with right barrel..gun shot a little high but pattern was good no bird could have gone through without severalhits 5 to 6 probably...secound shot was more on target with the left barrel good even pattern all over target nothing could have passed through without several hits...burn was very clean... charlie
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie: I guess thats why I get nervous if I have to go East of the Mississippi River! I don't hunt things that can eat ME or stomp me into fertilized dirt!. Lee.
lee r moege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

lee just go on down and get you a ten ga at least and come out here and help me get rid of these man eating squirls...thats and open invitation mite bring your rifle to got several large white tails bothering me they eat up my crop of peas...way i figure it its them or us.... charlie