Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

squirl tales
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default squirl tales

decided about 3 oclock to go squirl hunting..i picked up the 8 ga parker but put it back in the corner decided to hunt with a 20 ga lc smith at under 6 lbs.grabbed a box of those federal 7/8 ounce loads at 1200 feet a secound...they were 7 1/2 shot but they ll do for now.got into the woods at 3.30 nothing moving for awhile then i saw one climbing a big hickory tree i pushed off the safety and got ready to take a shot ..well where that squirl went is anybodys guess my neck is still hurting from looking up that tree..was not to long after i gave up on that first squirl i seen one sneaking up a small white oak pushed the safety off and letem have the rite barrel down he came. i reloaded and just set waiting for another to show before i picked the one id just shot up..i then heard some turkeys thought it was a loner looking for his flock..bout this time a squirl went to barking at something i seen him run up and down a big hickory i thought thats a awufully long shot but think i ll try this little twenty out.that tree was probably 65 steps away all i done when i pulled the trigger was make that squirl run up thetree and go to barking but i bet there was 25 turkeys that flew up into the trees around me..them turkeys were clucking and carrying on something fierce. they had the squirls barking and carrying on too i never heard such a racket..finally they quited down to just a few clucks occasionly i then went back to looking for squirls i heard one behind me and slowly turned around doggone it was 6 more turkeysthem things like to have never got by me about that time i seen a squirl and shot it when i did them turkeys flew into the trees over my head..i had just about enough of these turkeys so i picked up my squirls and left them turkeys up them trees...what and evening.... did manage to get two squirls but shoulda had my limit.. wait till turkey season.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,172 Posts

When turkey season comes all you'll see is squirrels. That's how those deals work.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yep thats the way it works maybe i should change the seasons around..what do you think.... charlie
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

When turkey season ends there will ba a 350 in 14 point wandering around looking for your bread scraps.
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 872 Posts

Charlie,

Back when that L.C. Smith was new there would have been turkey on the table tomorrow.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

j a you so rite...back in forefathers day that turkey woulda been on the table...i sure do enjoy seeing any kind of game when im hunting sure makes and eveningvery interesting...thats the biggest flock of turkeys ive seen this year...makes over a hundred ive seen since fall started..should be an interesting hunt this spring... think ill take the little 20 ga back hunting this evening..got work a little this morning... charlie
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of the important stuff in life.
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,635 Times in 4,628 Posts

I was able to bag 3 fat gray ones 2 weekends ago with my PH. That No. 2 frame got heavy after a while. So, last weekend I took out my LC FW, that was better to cary. Only got 1 with that. Not as good of a spot for squirels that time.

I have used #8 shot and #6 shot on squirels and I seem to do better with #6. Seems to kill better.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie, I liked your story. You mentioned your 8 gauge in it. What type and grade is it. I am a sucker for 8s and T really enjoy reading about them. I probably should go squirrel hunting here. We have a lot of them--eastern greys. Probably have 15 or so running around the lawn as we have 8 walnut trees, 1 red oak, 1 white oak, and 1 huge butternut tree either on the lawn or on its' edge. When I step out in the morning, I usually see at least a half dozenbushytails. Kinda neat--except when they dig up my wife's flower bulbs.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

bill the old 8 ga is a lifter gun its a o grade still a good shooter but nothing to look at...somebody done a lot of carving on the stock cut the barrel to 26 1/4 inch...but i really like the barrels being short it handles well this way..it is a fine squirl gun i load up differant loads for it..it really shoots bb size shot the best thoughi guess on account no choke left..even use it on deer ive killed deer with it shooting 00 buck that was loaded by tom armbrust for me..i now load all my own...i m currently shooting a pumkin ball load that weighs 2 ounces its only good for about 35 yards on account of accuarcy..ive not got to kill one with the round ball load yet... brian i agrre with you on that size of shot no 6 for squirls...reason i was shooting the bird shot was i bought a case of them for doves so now using them for squirls...boy this little 20 is sure lighter than the 8 ga but it just aint the same... yep work gets in the way of important stuff like hunting or just talking to you guys about these great old guns.... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: