Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Unread 07-16-2023, 09:50 PM   #31
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,706 Times in 877 Posts

[QUOTE=...if I come up empty handed I will try to purchase a similar gun made in 1908...
If nothing additional if found, I will probably need advice on the purchase front.[/QUOTE]

Charles,

If you want to buy an honest gun join this organization and watch it daily for the gun you want. That is the only way to see the for-sale forum. And in my opinion since the guns changed little from 1908 on, any year is ok and the higher serial numbers had internal improvements that were unseen to the naked eye. This is the place to get a gun that will be honestly described and priced; and it will keep you from making a big mistake on your first Parker purchase. Just my two cents.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2023, 05:44 AM   #32
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

As a retired Museum Curator, establishing the history or provenance of an artifact such as a firearm can be challenging, rewarding, and frustrating. Like many have stated it all begins with a serial number. Little else can be done without it. Even then, the history may simply end with the original shipping information from a manufacturer. With that said, a couple of thoughts:

You mention that it was ordered with no engraving. You also state that you recall a plain, unmarked, grip cap and butt plate. Additionally, you have not sighted or heard of the gun in decades. It is possible that it may not have been a Parker.

It could have actually been a different manufacturer. It could have been an H.D. Folsom import marked C. Parker. Or, it could have been a VH or Trojan grade Parker. Without the serial number or perhaps an image your mission will end.

Maybe a family member has an image. Maybe an image is tucked away in a book or bible? I would start with family members. Sometimes the least likely family member has an image of that family member that you didn't know of or had never seen. Good luck.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2023, 07:57 PM   #33
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 416 Posts

One other comment that needs to be addressed is that you state you bought The Serialization book and made a list of all the guns fitting your description in 1908, then quoted a finite number. Someone, I believe Dean, mentioned that generally only high grade guns were listed in the Serialization book. That is a fact, and a lot, maybe the majority, of the lower grade guns are not listed. The serialization book is basically a summation of the existing higher grade guns records, keeping in mind that the records are incomplete and have whole sections missing. If you wnat a closer number of how many possibilities exist, data such as that is contained in The Parker Story.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2023, 09:11 PM   #34
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

xxxxxxxx
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2023, 10:38 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,330 Times in 12,399 Posts

Actually Arthur, there is only a section of the serialization book where, for the purposes of the person recording the data, only listed grade 3 and higher…. Not the entire book. His reasons for onitting the lower grades is unknown and can only be guessed at.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2023, 10:38 AM   #36
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,900 Times in 4,771 Posts

Dean is correct. Lower grade guns were listed in their entirety in the main part of the serialization book, as long as the guns were listed in available stock books. Arthur was mistaken.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2023, 03:17 PM   #37
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 416 Posts

I guess I wasincorrect. I thought I understood it butreally didn't. I just know that a lot of the lower gradeguns I try to look up are not there. The point I was trying to make though is still valid, I believe. The OP implied he had made a list of all the low grade guns and was going to try and use that to track guns. There are likely a significant number that are not in the book, maybe a lot more.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2023, 03:38 PM   #38
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,330 Times in 12,399 Posts

That I agree with Art.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2023, 05:15 PM   #39
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,984 Times in 1,425 Posts

The Serialization Book is made up almost entirely from the entries in the Stock Books this includes all grades both hammer and hammerless. These guns were put into a database. There are a total of 30 Stock Books missing that the PGCA doesn't have records for. Each book has about 300 pages so that's approximately 9,000 guns that couldn't be put into the database used for the Serialization Book.

Before publishing the Sterilization Book, we were given access to the Order Books. It was decided to make a database for the Order Books and to search the Order Books for all the guns grade 3 and above that were missing from the Stock Book database (think Sterilization Book) and add them to the database used for the publication of the Sterilization Book. Can you imagine if all guns below grade 3 were included. Remember that Parker made 242k guns. It was just too much work to include all grades from 0 to 9.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2023, 08:13 AM   #40
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,900 Times in 4,771 Posts

Art, the part of the Serialization Book you refer to with no lower grade guns is one of the Appendices at the end of the book.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: