Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Were to sell a Parker??
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Drew Port
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Were to sell a Parker??

I have a Parker "G" Grade that was my wife's grandfathers and her family asked me to sell it. I would rate it in 30% Condition. I am having a hard time fining a place to sell such a gun. Thanks for the help also if any one would mind giving a value that would be great.

Drew

Drew Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

try gunbroker charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Gun Broker- very well known
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Gun Broker- very well known

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Port View Post
I have a Parker "G" Grade that was my wife's grandfathers and her family asked me to sell it. I would rate it in 30% Condition. I am having a hard time fining a place to sell such a gun. Thanks for the help also if any one would mind giving a value that would be great.

Drew

Not to contradict my good friend CC here, but now we are allowed to sell Parkers and other doubles on our Forum site- You need to be an annual paid member ($40) or a Lifer, I have no idea what you older Lifter Parker would bring, or what % Gun Broker charges--I would suggest you become a PGCA member, we have a great quarterly magazine, there are other areas for like minded guys to share thoughts- gun dogs, bird and waterfowl hunting, books, gun shows- and then you can list you gun for sale if you wish--

I would also suggest that you dis-assemble this Parker into the three component groups- barrels, buttstock with receiver and hammers, and forearm-- and get close ups as to all the markings and stampings you can see- also fotos of the barrels and both muzzle ends and the breech and any script on the top rib, etc--All these will help our guys who really know the older hammer Parkers (and others as well) ID you gun and offer their ideas as to what a fair marketable price would be- Welcome to the PGCA Forum--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Hi Drew,

As Francis suggested, detailed photos of all markings on the:
1. Receiver watertable
2. Barrel flats
3. Barrel recoil lug (this is the frame size)
4. Muzzles
5. Top rib between muzzle and bead sight
6. Any engraved areas and close ups of the screwheads

7. Also, please measure the barrel length exactly.
8. What gauge is it? Probably a 10 or 12 gauge since it is an early Lifter action
9. Provide the serial number. We can check it in the Serialization and Indetification Book. Not all serial numbers are in the book however.
10. Describe the gun accurately to include:
a. Bore condition
b. wood condition
c. tightness of action
d. ???

Your Grade 2 has scalloped breach balls which may not be common. Normally those were found on Grade 3' s and higher.

You may also list the gun on doublegunshop.com and pay only $10 to "Dave" the site owner if the gun sells. I've sold a couple guns there over the years and also bought guns from listings on that site. I also sold a nice Parker to a fellow PGCA member via our For Sale member's section. It is a great feeling to know that my Parker is not another Parkerfile's possession!

Respectfully,
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Drew Port
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you all so much for the help here are a few of the pictures you requested. I would say it is a little loose but not bad. I figure it is a Grade 3 based on my research.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Port For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Drew Port
Forum Associate

Member Info

Also 12ga and i beleave it is a 28" barrel serial number is 11922 thanks again it is an 1878 based on the serial number look up on here.

Drew
Very good job of posting fotos--
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Very good job of posting fotos--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Port View Post
Also 12ga and i beleave it is a 28" barrel serial number is 11922 thanks again it is an 1878 based on the serial number look up on here.

Drew
I'm not sure- was the serial number on the receiver's water table different than what was shown for the barrels-?? The firing pins both look to be same length as seen from the firing pin holes in the standing breech- just a "swag" but usually older hammer guns that have been fired a lot with the older powders of that day- may often show that by the condition of the firing pins and face of the breech- looks like a nice Parker, and we have many members in the PGCA that are very "up" on the older hammer series Parkers- and what's even better, shoot them today- after a good gunsmith check-up of course--

Please consider joining the PGCA. If I had a Stevens 511 12 I wanted to sell, then yes, like Mark, I would list it on the Double Gun Workshoppe- but you have a Parker- why not "hunt the pond with the most ducks using same"-- of course, there is a flip side- you might discover enough about not only your Parker but the whole world of Parker guns from this Forum, and decide to keep it as a fine example of hand craftsmanship[ from an era we will never know again in this land-IMO!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

Drew get some oil on that metal, I think I am seeing rust around the firing pins and hammers. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Drew Port
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would LOVE to keep the gun for myself but Grandma wants it sold and based on what i see the gun is worth $2500 ish and i can not afford that at all. Please if you guys could estimate a value that would help a ton. The serial numbers are all matching.
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Ross Berck
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Id say its a 500 to 1000 dollar gun. Thats a pretty wide margin so Im going to say $550. I have picked up from gunbroker auctions 2 of these guns in similar condition in the last year or two for less than $600 per gun. If you really want to know put it on a two week gunbroker auction at $0 with no reserve and see what it brings....dont waste peoples time with high reserve auctions to see what it is worth or you will lose a lot of bidders...JMHO from years of buying
Ross Berck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross Berck For Your Post: