Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Captain E.C. Crossman and a .410 Parker
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Captain E.C. Crossman and a .410 Parker

Today I took the newly purchased PH 12 and two boxes of RST shells to an area farm for some practice on pigeons. The Parker and I fared rather well, the "sky-carp"- not so well.

Had coffee with my farmer friend, we ended up at an area (Barry Co.) antiques sale- he's big on cast iron toy models of farm equipment, no guns per se- some fly rods and reels, etc. Bought a "grab bag" of 1930's sporting magazines- June 1934 National Sportsman pages 36-38 the good Cap'n Crossman being firearms editor.

Very timely for today his discussion of House Bill 9066 re: registration and licensing on firearms sales-

Then his review of the Win M54 Sniper Hornet rifle--"A fine bull-gun had been spoiled ----- when Winchester failed to put a .30 cal. hole in this here musket. Sorta the way I feel when I see a lovely Parker double gun with a triflin' .410 bore in it"!!

Huum- guess I can add the Cap'n to my list of deceased 12 bore shotgunners of note: Captain Paul Curtis, Ray P. Holland, Corey Ford and of course, Nash Buckingham.

To be fair- anybody could buy a new .410 Parker from a dealer in 1934- the few produced compared to the 12 bore, and the demise of Parker production in 1940??- adds to the market value of any .410 Parker today, no denying that.

If it were legal on the PGCA to do so, I would gladly advise of any such small bore for sale I might encounter- the chances of that occuring are twofold; slim and none!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,327 Times in 2,083 Posts

When I was just a lad we would spend every Sunday at the lake sailing. Dad had an 18ft boat that we raced every week. If we finished in time (depending on the wind) perhaps we would go skiing or tubing behind a members speed boat.

My brother and I were the crew on the sailboat and we often asked dad why we had a sailboat and not a cool ski boat. His reply went something like this "Any damn fool can run a power boat up and down a lake. A sailboat takes a fair degree of skill"

The small bores are my sailboats. A 25 at skeet with a 12 is one thing its quite different IMHO with a 410 or 28. When and If I ever get a Parker 410 it will be the second happiest day in my life. I say the second because the first will have been winning the lottery.
Rich Anderson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
How about a 19 foot Lightning??
Unread 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default How about a 19 foot Lightning??

I learned also to love sailing- summer camp up in Northern MI. Ice boating is also a real thrill.

In another issue of the National Sportsman I bought, the back page shows actor John Barrymore at his private skeet range, tweed shooting coat and possibly a Model 21 (1934 issue) and the No. 4 peg. His stance is very wide, but if it worked for him, sure. Waiting his turn, and with what might be a Rem M11 with recoil pad and a Cutts Comp. is a young but dapper Clark Gable. The article mentioned that Gable shot four rounds with his host Mr. Barrybore- scoring 6/25, 8/25, 11/25 and finally 12/25. That was with the 12 gauge.

I can see the challenge for the skeet shooters in using a .410, where I believe a visible chip from the clay counts as a dead bird on the score sheet. However, in the field, where the name of the game is dead birds and minimum crippling losses, I am with the late Mr. Buckingham 100%.
I believe he wanted pumps and autoloaders and .410's banned for waterfowling, and not the 8 gauges.

Last edited by Francis Morin; 03-29-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,582 Times in 12,456 Posts

In defense of the diminutive .410 bore, at reasonable yardage and with a densely choked shot pattern, a miss is a clean miss while a hit is usually a direct hit. Always keeping in mind, of course, that the center of any target, no matter how large or small that target is, is always the same size. I think we see easily as many crippled ducks and geese shot with 10 and 12 gauge guns as we do upland birds shot with the .410.

That oughtta bring on a heated discussion.... think I'll go put on my flak jacket

Last edited by Dean Romig; 03-29-2010 at 05:55 AM..
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
No "Flak" from this sector, Dean.
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default No "Flak" from this sector, Dean.

I agree- "skybustin'" is the bane of all of us waterfowlers who frequent public refuge hunting areas each Fall. A shell limit helps, but sadly, that is a fact of life. I also think in retrospect, as Nash Buckingham was raised with 12-10 and even 8 bores for quail (12) and waterfowl at Wapanonca (10 & 8) in the late 1890's- 1920 era- that may have influenced his views on the .410--

FYI- watch your mail at the Stutz-Bearcat service center- Editor back then Wm. H. Foster also writes about a quail hunt down in Dixie- even mentions his 20 Parker- I'm going to send you a copy from the magazine.

Last edited by Francis Morin; 03-29-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,327 Times in 2,083 Posts

I haven't used a 12ga to hunt anything in decades. My two greatest assests in the Uplands are Gunner and Daisy a couple of very capable GSP.

I have shot many a duck over decoys with a 20ga skeet gun and plenty of wild Pheasants with a 28. Once again IMHO a 12ga with 1 1/8 oz of shot isn't needed for a Grouse, Woodcock, or Quail over a solid pointer. While my go to rabbit gun is a Winchester M42 I really don't hunt birds much with one unless a certain friend and I head to the Hunt Club for Quail and he allows me the pleasure of using his VHE 410 skeet gun.

Dad had an ice boat as well for a couple of winters. That was one cold and wild ride down the frozen lake.
Rich Anderson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,582 Times in 12,456 Posts

Thank you Francis, I'll watch for it. Did Foster mention which of his Parker twenties he used on that hunt?
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
No- Just his "favorite Parker 20 bore"
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default No- Just his "favorite Parker 20 bore"

Almost a 1930's spin on today's -- "What's Not To Like" comment. pretty hard to fault any Parker 20 bore for "Deep Dixie Bobwhites"-- If Warren Buffett were "footing the bill" for me: 1921 era AHE 20- O frame of course- 28 barrels choked cyl. and imp. cyl- std rib, straight hand stock to SBP, front trigger hinged- 1.75" downpitch- zero cast, splinter forearm, 14.385" LOP to front trigger, 1.5" DAC, 2.15" DAH, 2.75" chambers-

Don't know if Warren B is a bird hunter, like the late Sam (Wally-World-mart) Walton, who preferred Remmie 11-48's in 28 bore for quails- but I believe his "Parrot-Head" nephew Jimmy B does hunt- read about a woodcock hunt he enjoyed with Guy DeValdane a while ago!!
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

I have to agree with Rich, I really like the small bore guns myself ,If the dogs are holding solid ,they certainly make the small bore guns shine ,I have to confess ,I carried both of my 10 Ga, Hammer guns for Pheasant this year just for the "enjoyment " of lugging around a 10 Lb. something gun for a day each ,those old Hammer guns really are alot of fun !! , Most of the time ,this is what accompanies me to the field ,it is a PH 20 ,Ga. Twist gun ,that fits as if it was special ordered just for me ! Took 19 Pa. Roosters and 8 Preserve birds with this little gun this past season .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker PH Twist 013.JPG (241.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Parker PH Twist 010.JPG (230.4 KB, 12 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,179 Posts

Dean,

I seem to remember you mentioning that you were hauling around a .410 on your snowshoe rabbit hunt and that you didn't fare too well. Maybe I'm wrong......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote