Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Hinge Pin Screw Head Indexing
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Pahkuh
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Hinge Pin Screw Head Indexing

Gentlemen,

Assuming that the proper tools are used, what is the proper procedure for indexing the hinge pin screw? I have one on my GH 20 that when tight has a slot position of approximately 8 instead of 9 o'clock. No big deal functionally, just one of those things that bug me and it seems like something I should be able to correct myself, with a little guidance.
Larry Harwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Maybe ask the person from whom you bought the gun? Not many know as much about Parkers as he does.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hmmm !
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Steve,

I have the same problem with a DH 10 gauge except my hinge pin was about 10 o'clock rather than 9. I think Austin had one that he was able to tighten with a screw driver made to fit the whole slot chucked into a drill press. Don't do this until it is confirmed by others. The hing pin is pressed into the frame and I would think it would have to be pressed out and reinserted to get the screw to index. Don't tell the rest of the guy's here but, I took the hing pin screw out of my DH and shimmed it with enough brass sheeting to make it index.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1556.JPG (114.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Harry Collins; 03-27-2010 at 10:09 PM..
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I think Harry has the right idea. Thin copper sheeting would work well I would think and would act like a crush washer in other applications and allow some latitude for indexing and would hold the screw head in place well. I've always thought the same thing could be done to floor plate screws out of time. I think that thin copper sheeting or even aluminum foil 'washers' could be made with a leather punch and added under screw heads as needed to get them indexed.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,941 Times in 12,567 Posts

The possibility however, of relatively fast ocurring corrosion would concern me if using aluminum or copper in contact with a dissimilar metal (steel).
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Pahkuh
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks to all for their input. I believe the shimming idea is a sound solution especially in situations where the screw is indexed somewhere between the 9 and 12 o'clock positions. However, I think steel shim stock, cut into washers, would be the best material to use since it can be aquired in various thicknesses and, being a similar metal, would not likely promote corrosion.

As I wrote in my original post, in my situation the screw is just short (approximately 30 degrees) of being correctly indexed. Adding enough shimming material under the screw head to bring it to the 9 o'clock position would, if my math is correct and assuming the screw has approximately 32 TPI, require about .026 of shim material. That just seems to me to be too much shimming.

Another option ... If approximately .005" of material was removed from the underside of the screw head the same results would likely be achieved. I fully realize that removing any metal on a gun had better be well thought out in advance, but this solution seems so simple and innocuous.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
Larry Harwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Larry, Check your PM.
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Maybe yes- maybe no here!!
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Maybe yes- maybe no here!!

[quote=Dean Romig;15825]The possibility however, of relatively fast ocurring corrosion would concern me if using aluminum or copper in contact with a dissimilar metal (steel).

Interesting! Aluminum foil or sheet copper should have no problem with contact with any of the carbon range steels used by Parker Bros.

Last edited by Francis Morin; 04-02-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Francis,The screw shoulders all the way to the hinge pin and the threads are very deep already.The proper way to index the screw without removing the hinge pin would be to remove a few thousands at a time from the back side of the screw head. You will be suprised at how much the screw will move with only a few thousands removed. Go slow...a little at a time...checking constantly....