Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

Back in 1889 the magazine Forest and Stream was doing a series of pattern and penetration tests of various shotguns available to the American shooting public in each issue. For the September 26 issue they decided to take a break from the Greener, Scott, L.C. Smith, Winchester Model 1887, Colt, Remington, etc., and test H & D Folsom's cheapest doubles. Here is a brief quote of what they had to say --

“...but the mean grade gun of no name. "W. Richards," that nonentity in the gun trade, was stamped on the plate, but they were really only those cheap bits of ordnance which come through our custom houses, pay a duty of 40 per cent., and yet may be placed on the counters of the gun shop at $5 a piece. The Forest and Stream has already in past times expressed its opinion about these pestiferous products of the penurious population clustered on Belgian soil.”

Take that H & D Folsom!!!
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2022, 04:38 PM   #12
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

PESTIFEROUS and PENURIOUS? And that is when they were NEW. I guess you can't please everybody.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,011 Times in 396 Posts

The best thing about 150 years of JABC's are the many really fine guns that are available at laughable prices because all Belgium guns tend to be lumped in with them by most buyers. I recently bought an early Acier 20 gauge hammer double that is engraved, gold inlaid and literally like new for under $1k. And it seemed to be no bargain in the marketplace really.
One of the best handling hammer 20's I have seen. Only drawback is that the wood quality is generally not up to the overall gun.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #14
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,010 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Back in 1889 the magazine Forest and Stream was doing a series of pattern and penetration tests of various shotguns available to the American shooting public in each issue. For the September 26 issue they decided to take a break from the Greener, Scott, L.C. Smith, Winchester Model 1887, Colt, Remington, etc., and test H & D Folsom's cheapest doubles. Here is a brief quote of what they had to say --

“...but the mean grade gun of no name. "W. Richards," that nonentity in the gun trade, was stamped on the plate, but they were really only those cheap bits of ordnance which come through our custom houses, pay a duty of 40 per cent., and yet may be placed on the counters of the gun shop at $5 a piece. The Forest and Stream has already in past times expressed its opinion about these pestiferous products of the penurious population clustered on Belgian soil.”

Take that H & D Folsom!!!
In the interest of saving my Brethren the time;
pestiferous: dangerous to society, carrying or propagating infection

penurious: poverty stricken, extremley poor

Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #15
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Okay...I just picked up my latest JABC, only this one seems to be a step above the usual. It is a sidelock hammer double marked "RIVAL No. 6". 12 gauge - 2 1/2 in chambers - 28 1/8 inch barrels - Taper bored up until about 6 inches from the muzzles and then Jug Choked for about 3 inches. Rather nice piece of walnut with a horn buttplate and grip cap. It also has a horn inlay at the tip of the fore end and a small amount of hand engraving on the receiver and hammers and fore end release. All the usual BELGIUM stampings and proof marks. The barrels rib extension is machined in the form of a cloverleaf, and the rib is inscribed FINE DAMASCUS. At the muzzle end of the rib is a arrow terminating at the bead. The gun is tight and on face and shows little use.
Can anyone (Researcher) shed some light on the history of "RIVAL No. 6" or who marketed this brand name and what it may have originally sold for?
Austin
Unread 10-14-2022, 11:30 AM   #16
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin J Hawthorne Jr. View Post
I thought everyone knew about JABC's. They used to be found in barrels at almost every country gunshop and gun show for $50.00 to $100.00 apiece. They were my introduction to double guns when I was a kid as I would be allowed to use my grandfathers while hunting with him and my dad. Grandpa passed on while I was in the military and his brother was given his guns. Where they went from there I could never find out.
You often find them above the fire places at many Cracker Barrels down south. General worth imo is less then $100.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #17
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tutwiler View Post
You often find them above the fire places at many Cracker Barrels down south. General worth imo is less then $100.
Sounds like the perfect "project gun"!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 10-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #18
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Sounds like the perfect "project gun"!!
Years and years ago (over 20) my buddy wanted a sxs to hang over his fireplace in Va. I told him I'd find him one off Gunbroker and that I would look for one pre 1898. Found him a German guild gun with the cheekpiece and swivels that looked good for I think $110 bucks. Was a 16 gauge with damascus barrels. Got the gun and it was wonderful. Tight on face with nice engraving, great damascus barrels. It was so nice I told him I'd like to keep it and find him another one. Nope he liked that one and its still over his fireplace to this day and has never been fired by him.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2022, 11:55 PM   #19
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

So I loaded up some 7/8th oz. 12 gauge handloads to use in the Rival and tested them today. Started at a very low pressure and worked my way up to about 6800 psi. and 1150 fps. using PB powder. I could not be happier with the results. The Jug choked barrels threw a Modified, hole free, pattern at forty yards. Trigger pulls were crisp at about four pounds and the gun felt solid. I now plan to shoot some sporting clays with it and will, most likely, bring it to Ernie's in June 2023. BTW..If anyone is interested I posted a similar request for information on the Doublegunshop forum and received a little feedback.